• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Reporting to Authorities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Thomas33

I was at a party and was asked for ID by an officer. I did not have any on me, was searched and then asked for my name. I gave a false birth date once. They could not find the record so I confessed and gave them the correct date. It was called in again and the officer spelled my last name incorrectly. At that time he handcuffed me and sat me outside in the cold. I instructed him that he had incorrectly spelled my name. He checked it and it was valid. I received a ticket for False reporting to Authorities. Is this a felony in Colorado and will it result in a large fine, probation or some other punishment. Thank you very much.
Thomas33

T

Tracey

Well, that was dumb. You violated section d. The sentence for a class 3 misdemeanor is "Fifty dollars fine Six months imprisonment, or seven hundred fifty dollars fine, or both" 18-1-106. You can also get community service 'in accordance with' 16-11-701.

18-8-111. False reporting to authorities. (1) A person commits false reporting to authorities, if:
(a) He knowingly causes a false alarm of fire or other emergency to be transmitted to or within an official or volunteer fire department, ambulance service, or any other government agency which deals with emergencies involving danger to life or property; or
(b) He makes a report or knowingly causes the transmission of a report to law enforcement authorities of a crime or other incident within their official concern when he knows that it did not occur; or
(c) He or she makes a report or knowingly causes the transmission of a report to law enforcement authorities pretending to furnish information relating to an offense or other incident within their official concern when he or she knows that he or she has no such information or knows that the information is false; or
(d) He or she knowingly provides false identifying information to law enforcement authorities.
(2) False reporting to authorities is a class 3 misdemeanor.
(3) For purposes of this section, "identifying information" means a person's name, address, birth date, social security number, or driver's license or Colorado identification number.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">