• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsely accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deanmoriarty

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have a question as to how I should go about handling a situation that led to my arrest a couple nights ago. Here's the story so far.....My friend was pulled over and when they ran my ID it came back with a warrant for theft. After being held for 24 and transfered to the county the warrant was in, my friends pulled together the money to bond me out. The thing is, they apparently think that 3 years ago I stole a gym bag or suitcase from a bus terminal in a county I haven't even been in, in over 5 years. My guess is either someone was arrested and used my identity, or someone falsely identified me as the thief. I'm angry enough over being falsely accused, jailed, and being out $500. I really don't want to have to hire an attorney if I don't have to. So my questions are... My actual warrant was for 'stealing without consent' not a failure to appear, that leads me to believe that someone identified me as the thief, not someone using my identity, does this sound right? How can I get the prosecuting attorney (or whoever else) to send me the police report, arrest papers if there are any, or any other evidence in the case that they may have? and finally, what, if any, legal action can I take against someone who used my identity or falsely identified me? Any other info or strategy to prove my innocence would also be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

JETX

"My actual warrant was for 'stealing without consent' not a failure to appear, that leads me to believe that someone identified me as the thief, not someone using my identity, does this sound right?"
*** Not necessarily.

"How can I get the prosecuting attorney (or whoever else) to send me the police report, arrest papers if there are any, or any other evidence in the case that they may have?"
*** By requesting them if you have no attorney.... or by having your attorney do so.

"and finally, what, if any, legal action can I take against someone who used my identity or falsely identified me?"
*** None..... since you don't know if that happened, or who might have done it.

"Any other info or strategy to prove my innocence would also be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance."
*** The best advice of all..... get an attorney. Are you really willing to risk a record, fines and your freedom on the assumption that you can do this by yourself??? Would you try to do heart surgery on yourself to save money??

A

apples&oranges

If this person was actually arrested they have been fingerprinted and a picture (mug shot) taken. You may be able to prove Identity theft by going to that county's sheriff's/police department tell them what happened, they probably already have a procedure in place to help you prove identity theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">