• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely accused of identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyby004

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My ex husband was ordered to maintain medical insurance on our children. When he married his current wife she had better and cheaper medical coverage so he had the children put on her insurance plan. This was fine with me as long as the children were covered.

But.....my ex and his wife refused to give me any of the information regarding the medical insurance. One of my kids became very ill and I had to take her to the doctor. I paid the bill in full myself and had her records from the old doctor sent to the new doctor because I had moved further then what was reasonable for a trip to the doc's with a sick kid. My ex was aware of the move and that was all fine.

Apparently the old doc sent the new doc the medical insurance info and the new doc filed with the insurance company. The insurance company paid there portion and I was reimbursed by new doc. I split the portion with my ex as I should have.

A year later my ex's wife filed identity theft charges stating I stole her social security number. Believe it or not the prosecutor took this to court. I had many court dates trying to have the case dismissed. The prosecutor tried several time to contact the ex's wife for more info and she never returned his calls. Ultimately the case was dismissed after I PROVED I was innocent. This cost me alot of money I didn't have because I had to hire an attorney.

My question is - Is there any recourse I have because she accused me of something that was obviously not true? Can I recoup my expenses from her?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">