• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Accused of Identity Theft and Credit Card Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worrywart123

What is the name of your state? WV

Hello everyone, a few years ago a friend of mine agreed to open to credit cards in both of our names (it was a joint account and listed on both of our credit reports). He didn't want anything to do with them as long as I paid them (he was worried his family would find out). I paid the cards for almost two years, then one day I logged in to pay one of the cards and the account was frozen. I called the credit card company they said he had called them and cried fraud. I called him and found out that his new girlfriend found and and persuaded him to make this claim. Luckily I had the foresight to have him sign a letter which listed both of the credit cards including account numbers; the letter basically said that he was aware of the credit accounts, we both signed it and had a neutral third party witness and sign as well. When the credit card company contacted me I explained the situation and faxed the letter, they basically told him it was not fraudulent and he was responsible for the charges. At this point they had told the credit card company so many lies none of them made any sense. So the accounts were frozen/closed I was unable to make any further payments. This was in August 2007, now in December a county sheriff comes knocking on my door because they have now filed a police report claiming identity theft. After I talked with the sheriff he told me that although my ex-friend signed the report someone else was doing all of the talking. He already had a copy of the signed letter and asked for handwriting samples. He said that every time he go to talk to the person that filed the claim his family and girlfriend want to talk for him. My question is can he actually accuse me of this, he is lying. The deputy said that he believes me because everything I have told him corresponds to what he has witnessed from them. How can he accuse me of this again after the credit card company's fraud dept has already determined it is not fraudulent? The deputy has not dropped the case yet, but he also has not issued any warrants. What should I expect? What are my options? I have been cooperating with the deputy but this has been dragging on for over a month now (with the deputy, it actually started back in August), it is getting frustrating and embarrassing because the sheriff has been to my house so much, it is hard to tell what the neighbors think.

Also the deputy told me that he was likely going to file charges against him for filing a false police report. I guess I just would like to know more about the process, the deputy is very nice but I just want this to be over.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">