• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Accused of Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

todayten

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My boyfriend and I and two friends were shopping in a tourist shop in FL. He purchased a sundress for me paying $50 cash. We left the store and mall.

A day later my boyfriend recieved a phone call from the store asking him if he had paid for the item and he stated yes he had. We had the receipt and the bag and the tags still on the dress as I had not worn the item. The person told him "ok, thank you. It's been taken care of". Now, another month later my boyfriend was served some court papers alledging petit theft. The papers gave a case # but no court date, no other information other than this ridiculous store is charging him with stealing the dress.

My boyfriend thought that the issue was resolved with the phone call and never told me about it.
Unfortunately since I did not know about the phone call I threw out the bag and receipt.

Now what do we do? The store obviously must have a record of the sale as we did have a printed receipt. I am hoping they have a video because it will clearly show us paying. However we have no idea what is going on or how to fight this. I want to sue them for slander and libel. We don't have money to hire an expensive attorney however if we can sue the store for the attorney fees it would be possible.

Since I threw out the receipt I don't know what to do. How can they randomly decide we didn't pay for an item a month after we shopped there? We have no idea how they even got our information. We did use a bank card to make a purchase in the store next to them. I have that receipt which gives me a date and time that we were there. Could I force the accusing store to pull out their records to show our cash sale with the dress tag id #? I am sick over this and furious.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">