• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Identity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chonsee

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC

I have a younger sister who opened several credit card accounts in my grandmothers name with herself as an authroized user. She used and paid for these cards for years until she became disabled and could no longer work. The secret came out. The accounts are in serious collections and my grandmother is recieving collection calls and summons for court. All my grandmother wants is for my sister to take over the accounts and remove them from her credit report since she never authroized them. She does not wish to have her charged but has to resolve this asap.. What should we do and what will happen if she is charged.. The amount in total is around 25,000. We are unable to pay them off. Do you think it could be worked out where she wouldn't go to jail or even worse prison...... I'm so Torn Chonsee

pojo2

Reality, your sister is noting but a common criminal and worse yet against her Grandmother. File charges now and then have your Grandmother dispute the charges and give the cards the needed information to PROSECUTE your sister.

But you just go right on enabling her in her criminality!

memphisgirl

Something similar

I was legally (grandmother authorized) an authorized user. I took care of grandparents and had to pay for everything(food,toiletries etc..)-the payments did and still do come out of my checking account. Grandfather passed and grandmother sent to a nursing home by her kids(dont know where she is). Havent talked to grandmother so dont know if she has alzheimers -will kids press charges or can they call credit card company to confirm grandma actually SPOKE to them to authorize me???Mind you the kids(aunts,dad,uncle) wanted me to move in and take care of them b/c I was a stay at home mom!!I did b/c I loved my grandpa so much and he was dying(cancer).

Veronica1228

memphisgirl said:
I was legally (grandmother authorized) an authorized user. I took care of grandparents and had to pay for everything(food,toiletries etc..)-the payments did and still do come out of my checking account. Grandfather passed and grandmother sent to a nursing home by her kids(dont know where she is). Havent talked to grandmother so dont know if she has alzheimers -will kids press charges or can they call credit card company to confirm grandma actually SPOKE to them to authorize me???Mind you the kids(aunts,dad,uncle) wanted me to move in and take care of them b/c I was a stay at home mom!!I did b/c I loved my grandpa so much and he was dying(cancer).
Open your own thread and stop hijacking someone else's.

Veronica1228

chonsee said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC

I have a younger sister who opened several credit card accounts in my grandmothers name with herself as an authroized user. She used and paid for these cards for years until she became disabled and could no longer work. The secret came out. The accounts are in serious collections and my grandmother is recieving collection calls and summons for court. All my grandmother wants is for my sister to take over the accounts and remove them from her credit report since she never authroized them. She does not wish to have her charged but has to resolve this asap.. What should we do and what will happen if she is charged.. The amount in total is around 25,000. We are unable to pay them off. Do you think it could be worked out where she wouldn't go to jail or even worse prison...... I'm so Torn Chonsee
I agree with pojo that your sister needs to be prosecuted. I think you'll find that the Credit Card companies are not going to be all that sympathetic otherwise. They want to get paid and that will be their bottom line. Therefore, your grandmother's only options are to assume responsibility for this debt, or file a police report against your sister.

Either way, you grandmother should get copies of her CR from all three CB to see if there is anything else that was done to her by her loving granddaughter. She'll also want to get fraud alert place on her CR to prevent this from happening in the future.

Identity Theft is a felony and your sister deserves to go to prison. Heck, I hope your grandmother is old enough so that they can throw Elderly Abuse charges into the mix. If you let her get away with this, she'll just do it again. Maybe next time to you.

Veronica1228

memphisgirl said:
SORRY, I was sympathyzing..Didnt know I was hyjacking a thread.
I guess the fact that you asked a question of your own is what threw me off.

memphisgirl said:
Havent talked to grandmother so dont know if she has alzheimers -will kids press charges or can they call credit card company to confirm grandma actually SPOKE to them to authorize me???
Wait, I was right the first time. Stop hijacking. (Further posts on this thread are not necessary. Open your own thread if you want any answers.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">