• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father misuses my personal information for tax fraud.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

We will need somewhat more information than this, including but not limited to the name of your state, before we can advise you.

SaraMiller96

I live in California. Here is some background info.
I'm a college student who is an aspiring lawyer.
My father does not work nor has he ever. (I have documented proof)
This year he gave out my sibling, his, and my information to a scam artist in hopes of getting a tax refund he does not deserve. Apparently, the man screwed him over and took the tax return money.
This left me kind of screwed up with my financial aid, but it was taken care of after he filed for identity theft with IRS.

However, I'm nervous that he will do something like this again. I have a recording that he does not know talking about his crime of being an accomplice. Can I use this evidence to become an independent on my fasfa.
(He always threatens to not provide his info for the incoming year when he gets mad at me)
I mean they should be able to look back and see he NEVER worked/Filed taxes, right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in California. Here is some background info.
I'm a college student who is an aspiring lawyer.
My father does not work nor has he ever. (I have documented proof)
This year he gave out my sibling, his, and my information to a scam artist in hopes of getting a tax refund he does not deserve. Apparently, the man screwed him over and took the tax return money.
This left me kind of screwed up with my financial aid, but it was taken care of after he filed for identity theft with IRS.

However, I'm nervous that he will do something like this again. I have a recording that he does not know talking about his crime of being an accomplice. Can I use this evidence to become an independent on my fasfa.
(He always threatens to not provide his info for the incoming year when he gets mad at me)
I mean they should be able to look back and see he NEVER worked/Filed taxes, right?
Your recording likely broke the law. As an aspiring attorney, you should know this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I thought I've read online you are allowed to record as long as it's not with a 3rd party in California
California is a two-party (ie: ALL PARTY) consent state. All parties to the conversation must consent if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

SaraMiller96

California is a two-party (ie: ALL PARTY) consent state. All parties to the conversation must consent if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Shoot I must have read false info online...should have came here first. Since my recordings are garbage evidence, is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

Silverplum

No need for the cattiness, silverplum. I just need help. I went on to a forum (yahoo answers) and was misguided to believe that.
I was/am desperate to get this under control
For your future reference as an aspiring attorney, sara, when you want to know about the law you look up the law. You don't ask a bunch of...yahoos. :cool:

SaraMiller96

For your future reference as an aspiring attorney, sara, when you want to know about the law you look up the law. You don't ask a bunch of...yahoos. :cool:
Duly noted lol...I am a 2nd year in my bachelors program, so I know I have a lot to learn...
Is there anything I can do about my legal situation ?

Last edited:

SaraMiller96

File Form 14039 with the IRS and get a PIN. That way he can't e-file a bogus return in your name.
I'm just nervous he may try some other scam with my info and be mad if I go against him which would then result in him not giving me his info with me for my financial aid.
He doesn't work or have any assets In his name nor has he ever really...he gets by because he mooches off my grandparents.

My question is, is there any way I can prove this and become independent for my fasfa so I won't have to worry about him holding this over my head??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">