• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Crime vs. State crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Waitingme

Puerto Rico

Hello:
I was wondering what happens when an accused person is convicted for a crime in one state or by a state, but he has other charges that are federal. Can the federal court take jurisdiction for both or do they always have to be separate? In which prison would he or she serve his sentence? If the crimes are different does he or she serve first in one and then in the other? How is the process? If the crimes are similar or same category, then what is the process there? If the crimes are both in state jurisdictions and not federal, is there also a different process?

Thank You.

BelizeBreeze

Waitingme said:
Puerto Rico

Hello:
I was wondering what happens when an accused person is convicted for a crime in one state or by a state, but he has other charges that are federal. Can the federal court take jurisdiction for both or do they always have to be separate? In which prison would he or she serve his sentence? If the crimes are different does he or she serve first in one and then in the other? How is the process? If the crimes are similar or same category, then what is the process there? If the crimes are both in state jurisdictions and not federal, is there also a different process?

Thank You.
W do not do your homework for you.

BelizeBreeze

Waitingme said:
It is not homework. I have no classes for that question, i am just curious.
Then I suggest you do a little research. We are not here to do your research or footwork for you but to answer specific questions that poster's have regarding THEIR legal situation.

Waitingme

Like my quote? ;)
Dont worry I can find out immediately, but bottomline if I come here looking desperate and as a "possible client" I 'd get answers. Shame on my high hopes.

Thank you anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">