• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Probation Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FeelingCheated

I'm serving a 3 year probation sentence in South Dakota, where the sentencing guidelines were 1st offense, 6 points, 0 - 6 months. I had no suspended sentence, just probation.

Now I'm being accused of a violation by committing bank fraud. I have never been questioned, arrested or convicted of this charge, but my PO is sending the report using the guidelines for bank fraud, a 0-1 offense, 12-18 months incarceration.

My court appointed attorney says that they're not going to try to convict me of bank fraud because its a lot easier to convict me of probation violation because they only need a preponderence of the evidence, and that they can sentence me to this crime that they're claiming I did without proving it (just proving a parole violation) and recommends that I plead guilty to reduce the points.

Now, from what I understand, if convicted of probation violation, I can only be sentenced to 0 - 6 months, as was the range of my original violation, and not any longer then the maximum possible sentence I could have gotten originally. They would need to bring me up on formal charges of bank fraud where I
would have to be found guilty in a jury trial if they wanted to incarcerate me for that crime.

My question is two-fold:

1. Can they find me guilty of a probation violation for a crime that I haven't been convicted of?

2. Can I be sentenced for a parole violation on the scale of what they accuse me of doing, even though its not been, and will not have been, proven by a jury trial by the time i'm sentenced that I did it?

T

Tracey

You have an attorney. Why are you asking a bunch of random strangers questions you should be asking her? What makes you think we know federal criminal probation laws better than she? However:

1. Yes
2. I think they have to sentence you to 0-6 months, but I'm not sure.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited July 28, 2000).]

F

FeelingCheated

I'm asking because my attorney has never had to defend someone in a probation violation and I don't really feel confidant in their abilities, but it's a public defender and I need a reason to ask for a different one. If If I find out through research on my own that they're incompetant, then I'm going to ask for a different lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">