• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flavious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington.

While I was in jail I asked my brother to mail me my Social Security Check so that I could cash it, put it on my books, and pay for my appeal filing. Instead he signed my name on it and forwarded it to himself. It was around 800.00. He paid the 300 dollar filing, paid 100 dollars to get a gold coin out of the pawn. Then he sold the coin for 450.00 For several months I mailed him many times asking him to put the money on the books. About two weeks before I got out he told me he paid himself 30 dollars an hour to do errands for me. I didn't know he was charging me to do these errands. I would have asked a friend to do it for free had I known I was going to pay an egregious amount of money to do simple errrands. So for nearly 3 months I wasn't able to buy warm clothes and was freezing cold. Plus they don't feed you enough in jail and so I couldn't buy food and was starving hungry. So when I found out he was paying himself I was quite upset with him and so a week before I got out he put 100 dollars on my books. Between the coin and the check that comes to 1250.00 and less the 500 he spent on me that makes 750.00 he charged me for doing errands. That is almost my entire Social Security check.

At anyrate here it is 3 years later and I haven't done anything about it and the number one reason is because he's my brother and the thought of haivng him prosecuted hurts me. The other reason is I have a couple trucks and a trailor stored on his property and I feared if I threatened to prosecute him he would do something to my stuff. He used my stuff for a couple years and broke it and now he wants it off his property. The tiltes are mine but he has them in his posession and has made it impossible for me to get rid of and sell this property by refusing to give me the titles. He says he's keeping the titles in case it is abandoned property and he needs to sell them. and of course I'm sure he's going to keep the money.

At anyrate, again I say, one of the reasons I never had him prosecuted is because I feared he would do something to my stuff. Now essentially he has and I no longer have that as a hindrance.

So my question is: Is there a statute of limitations against such a federal crime? Is it possible that even if there isn't the prosecuter just wouldn't prosecute him? If the prosecutoer doesn't do anything I fear there would be serious repercussions.
Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">