• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

felony embezzlement charge....HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pearlxman

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Around a month ago I quit my job and the next day I had a phone call from work (FOOD LION) stating that I'd better come in and talk to the Loss Prevention guy or they will prosecute. So I went in and he took my statement and recorded it all. I told him that within 4 months of working there i took around $430-$530 in merchandise (food, beer, deordorant, etc). I signed the statement and he told me 9/10 times they will just make me pay it off and I was fine with that. But then a few days ago and cop showed up at my house and read me my rights and told me he wasn't arresting me right now but that I have been charged with felony embezzlement. He said I can turn myself in next week at the magistrates office and sign a paper promising to appear in court. There are 4 others charged with this. Food Lion claims they have video of the property being taken out the door. I need to know what my legal rights are and how bad am I off. I have no previous record and am a full time college student that worked part-time and Food Lion. Can this charge be dropped to a misdemeanor? Am I looking at any jail time. Please give me some advice. I'm also looking for a good lawyer.

D

dyinginside

I'm also looking for a good lawyer.

There ya go. Good answer.

M

mental_assassin

move over wannabes and let the real mccoys answer the questions.

Yes, you need to get a lawyer because you are facing jail time.
The only way it will get dropped to a lower charge is if the district attorney offers a deal. Food chains are notorious for wanting you to pay with blood. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">