• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Expungement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torres13fox

In 1993 in the state of North Carolina, I was convicted of a felony; desecration to a grave site, and was told that after 10 years of the conviction I would be able to own and purchase rifles and shotguns again. Well, to my surprise, I cannot.
I was wanting to inquire about this matter with anyone who may help. Will an expungement of this 15 year old conviction allow me to have my firearm rights re-enstated? Will the fact that I am currently employed by the U.S. Army and serving in Iraq help me at all?
I mean really, they will allow me to carry a weapon in the military but not allow me to own or possess one? Can any one help?

seniorjudge

Was this a federal or a state charge?

Whatever government charged you, give us the statute number.

Also, why do you want an expungement? (Inconvenience is not a reason.)

seniorjudge

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/ExpungeSheet.htm

If a person is charged with a crime in North Carolina and the charge is dismissed or a finding of not guilty is entered, that person may apply to the court in the county where the charge was brought for an order to expunge from all official public records any entries related to his/her apprehension or trial, pursuant to N.C.G.S. 15A 145-146. A crime is either a misdemeanor or felony. Most traffic violations are infractions and do not qualify for Expungement.

According to this info (and I am not guaranteeing it), you are not eligible.

Perhaps your best bet would be a pardon.

Contact the North Carolina governor's pardons clerk.

It seems kind of silly (to me) that you can be a soldier but you can't go hunting!

cyjeff

Of course, it will depend what you were doing to the grave as to how good your chances of pardon are.

Governors and Presidents still have to answer for the people they pardon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">