• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsm

What is the name of your state? IA

my son was arrested in a felony forgery check cashing scheme. He (after several weeks) discovered the scam. He knew all the big players, and actually rode in the car while others cashed checks. He didnt create, sign, or attempt to cash any checks, but knows alot of information. The feds want to talk to him since he gave them tons of information. They have dropped the charges in state court but are now filing federally. I am really worried that they will want him to enter into a proffer agreement, since i heard proffers are very one sided and the govt. can decide to stop the questioning at anytime and turn around and use his information against him at anytime. 1st question is can he be charged with felony forgery, just for knowing about this? 2nd are my concerns about a proffer realistic?

Thank you!

FlyingRon

Prosecution is already one sided. From your description, any deal he might get is probably better than he's technically guilty of.

Of course, his best course of action is to have a lawyer involved.

mrsm

Thank you for your response. I know the initial state complaint charged him with felony forgery. I guess what I need to know is what could actually be a lesser charge, if he reaches a plea agreement. I have view pages and pages of sentencing guidelines and have yet to be able to determine charges in a format which tells me of any lesser charges that they may be willing to try him under, RATHER then felony forgery. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">