• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Gun Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyrick21

What is the name of your state? Tx

My question is basically is there any limitation to the gun law restricting felons from ever owning a gun. I was 17 when I was charged with a felony. They were burglary of a building and theft. I basically took a dirtbike from a garage and went riding. Im not going to go into a list of excuses, lets just say I didnt know that we didnt have permission to ride them. I was put on defered probation for 4 years and went through that with no problems.

I am planning on having these expunged from my record once the 10 year wait is up. So once I have this done could I legally get a CHL and have a gun in my house. I want to be able to protect my family if that time ever comes, and not have this stupid mistake hanging over my head forever. If someone could just give me some details on will this ever be possible, even if its like 20 years down the road or something. I just hope there is some kind of program or something I can do to help this situation out later.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Heather2

First off expungement is not an option. http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/expungement-criminal-records-law.php/TX/TX-EXP.htm

However since you got deferred adjudication you were not actually convicted of a felony. Five years for a felony and two years for a misdemeanor after completion of probation you can file for an order of non disclosure to have it removed from your record. Now hopefully someone here will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you are allowed to have a gun right now. You can't purchase one but you can have one. I know you can't get in to trouble for being in possesion of one. Deffered adjudication is a complicated thing, I have it too but I'm still on probation. There use to be a great forum dedicated to explaining deferred adjudication but it was hacked by TURKISH HACKER BOYS

cyrick21

anyone else have any info in this area. I checked public data and it says deferred on each case in one of the court areas......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">