• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chloe0108

I posted this a week or so ago and got no response--please try to respond. Thank you!

What is the name of your state? FL

A friend of mines wife was arrested for embezzelment (larceny). She stole $208,000 from her former employer(yes her husband knew). Anyway, she was sentenced to 1 year in the work release program. Basically she comes and goes as she pleases. She told her husband that she does not have to pay restitution because it is a civil lien and she will just never pay it. I went online and found the court documents. Bascially, she was charged with a first degree felony and 15 years probation (also work release). It also says that she has to pay restitution in the amount of $208,000. Is it possible that this is a civil lien? She never went to court for this civilly. Or is she lying (as usual) and this restiution will be part of her probation? Also, she is saying that she will not have to pay probation fees (is that possible?) And she wants to move to another state when she gets out--wil probation let her? I do not belive a word she says because she is a liar--I just want to know if for once she is telling the truth! Also, do they drug test in work release even if you are in there for the reason mentioned above(I know she is doing drugs in there) Also, will they drug test her on probabtion? And is it possible to drug test for prescription pills(she does not actually have a perscription). I cannot belive they just gave her work release for a 1st degree felony!! Thank you for all your help!! Even if you do not know the law, all opinions will be appreciated!

H

hmmbrdzz

Are you sure you aren't from a small town in NC? Sounds like a story here -- a woman who had worked for the bank here (I won't say what bank) for 20 years, and who's husband is the long-standing minister of... of..... of (I won't say what church -- will only say "of the holy roller type") and whose church had just recently purchased some nice tranport vans (2), an RV camper for the "church", and some other "church" stuff, was busted (and convicted) for embezzling over $300,000.00 from the bank within an 8 year time span. Da** bit**. (I think her husband knew although he was never charged.) She spent a few weeks in the county jail, but when all was said and done -- she got no time in prison, was sentenced for some daily work release program somewhere, got 10 years probation, and from what I hear -- she will not have to pay the money back. (I don't understand why, either.) I guess God is going to pay it back.

hmmbrdzz

M

Mike101

If the money was ordered to be paid back by a judge during a criminal proceding then its all tied in and its a criminal matter. If she does not pay what the judge ordered the judge can revoke her and put her in jail. The victim can then sue in civil court.
If she can move or not depends on the probation office and the judge.
Drugs tests can happen at any time by her P.O.
What they test for varies.
She doesn't have to pay probation fees but I think the court will think differently and strongly suggest that she does.
Did I answer everything?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">