+ Reply to Thread
    rae07 Guest

Question felony warrant for bad check in VIRGINIA

Hello. I am a 37 yr old female in Virginia and I recieved a warrant for a check returned from Walmart this week. The check was $311.00 and has been paid along with the return fees. I went to the sheriffs office on my own to find out it is a FELONY becasue of the amount of the check!I got FINGERPRINTED and so forth, met with the magistrate who was more than considerate. I am more naive thatn I realized. I have no violations in any state regarding ANYTHING illegal and this was NOT INTENTIONAL and my checking account has been closed due to NSF electronically and paper. I was told that in a month perhaps I could re-open it. (I pray)I am on a great deal of medications and have considerable problems meeting all my bill deadlines but HAVE NEVER passed a bad check without thinking the funds were not available. I am trying to straighten out other ones that came back BEFORE they get to the warrant stage! I honestly just got behind as well as just mass confusion with my bookeeping. I GO TO COURT Tuesday (yes, day after tomorrow). I AM PETRIFIED. I am going alone and I suppose will have to speak for myself. I have no previous offenses of any kind. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME? Any suggestion or info would be helpful. A rep from Walmart is summons to be there also - will they proceed with CRIMINAL charges since it is paid and I have my reciept to show it? WILL I BE ABLE TO LEAVE OF MY OWN ACCORD IF A FINE IS IMPOSED?AM I GOING TO JAIL? I have no cash on hand and am petrified at what will happen and sorry I am so naive in the ways of the law. PLEASE HELP! Thank you. Rae in Va. (sorry so long)
    Humble Warrior Guest
    Your not going to jail!!!!
    Since you already paid the check and fees,I doubt Wal-Mart will press charges. it wouldnt do them any good.
    The absolute worst you can expect is a fine. You can make payment arangement for the fine right there on the spot,and go home. Your NOT going to jail.
    rae07 Guest

Thank you

No one had responded to my post and the arraignment coming up in the morning. THANK YOU so much for the words. I will go with at least a little confidence now. THANK YOU.