• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony weapon charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feelinglost502

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My boyfriend and I went to a bar last night. He had put our gun in my purse earlier that day (stupid), well he forgot about it and remembered when we were at the bar and stupidly took it out of my purse and was going to put it in the car. Well someone saw him and told the cop that was there and he was arrested. He is a felon, convicted 12 years ago. Nothing since. We have a 2.5 year old daughter and he is such a great dad, he is her world and it kills me to think he may be going to prison. Also, I had a protective order placed on him over a year ago. He went to counseling and anger management so I took him back and he has been a great man since. So here are his charges: Convicted felon in possesion of a gun, Possesion of a gun in a bar, violation of the protective order by having a gun, and violation of a protective order by being with me. So here are my questions: Does anyone have any idea what his sentencing will be? Is there anyway to get the protective order lifted? Would that help?
I have a good family friend that is one of the best criminal defense attorneys in texas, and he said he will take the case for $4000. But I have no idea how im going to come up with the money. But if i can come up with the money, would he have a better shot with the good lawyer or should he just get a court appointed one because hes screwed anyways?
Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FlyingRon

Court appointed lawyers are for those who are indigent and can't afford any attorney rather than just those who are unwilling to pay for private counsel.

He's doubly enjoined from possessing a gun. He knew this. He intentionally broke that law and no amount of "anger management" or "turning his life around" is going to impress any judge to find a DV-ordered felon with a gun.

The time to ask for relief from the PO is before you are out with him while he is committing additional felonies. The firearms charge is worth TEN YEARS and the other stuff isn't going to bode well for him staying a free man. He'll need the best lawyer you can find.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">