• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

few questions...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennimata

What is the name of your state? virginia

a friend of mine is being charged with ups fraud. she sold ups items on ebay and had ups ship them and never paid for them. racked up a bill of over 13 grand. a postal inspector came an investigated this and she admitted to it and wrote out a statement. she is supposed to go to court next week to see if she qualifies for a court appointed lawyer. she is doing a plea or whatever its called with the prosecutor.

im slightly confused because she hasnt actually been charged with anything but is getting a lawyer to work out a plea? how does that work? also what kind of time could she be looking at for this, also this being a 1st offense of any kind. she is 27. im sure maybe that doesnt matter much but to me it does. im worried for her because her husband is leaving for the military and they have 2 small children. they (her and her husband) are more than willing to pay the debt back but is it possoble for her to not serve any jail time?

thanks in advance.

G

GKris

Its very possible for her not to do jail time. Unless its a federal charge, they like jail time. She has been charged with something or else she would not be able to enter into a plea bargain deal. The formal charge that will be entered with the court along with her plea and the plea bargain just probably hasn't been decided on. Who did she not pay? UPS? The seller? I'm confused...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">