• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ficticious License Plates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scott Kramer

My son was issued a citation for displaying fictitious tags on a vehicle that was not registered in his name. The judge is pretty much telling him that he needs an attorney or she may sentence him to 30 days in jail.
The plates that were on the car were registered to me as was the title that they were from. He traded this vehicle and i simply failed to have the title and plates transferred. I want you to know that I did have insurance on the car at all times.

xylene

The plates that were on the car were registered to me as was the title that they were from. He traded this vehicle and i simply failed to have the title and plates transferred. I want you to know that I did have insurance on the car at all times.
You and your son were committing title and/or registration fraud if what you say is true.

Your son needs a lawyer.

This is not going away.

Your 'explanation' only makes if worse. It isn't a defense or even a valid explanation that would mitigate the crime. It is a crime in itself.

Scott Kramer

Fictitious License plates

I live in Ohio, the ord. is 335.11A3 I believe. I'm just confused how he can be sent to jail when it's not his car and didn't know his dads an idiot. It costs $6.00 to have registration transfer. Doesn't law state that plates stay with owner not with vehicle? :confused:

FlyingRon

I live in Ohio, the ord. is 335.11A3 I believe. I'm just confused how he can be sent to jail when it's not his car and didn't know his dads an idiot. It costs $6.00 to have registration transfer. Doesn't law state that plates stay with owner not with vehicle? :confused:
It's incumbent on the driver to make sure the car is properly registered before operating it. Special care should be for borrowing cars (from idiots or otherwise). You're only allowed to move the plates if you sell (or otherwise cease to own) the car they're moved from, and then you still only have 30 days grace to get the paperwork to the BMV.

CdwJava

It's a local ordinance for Hubbard, OH:

(a) No person shall operate or drive a motor vehicle upon the streets in this Municipality if it displays a license plate or a distinctive number or identification mark that meets any of the following criteria:
(1) Is fictitious;

(2) Is a counterfeit or an unlawfully made copy of any distinctive number or identification mark;

(3) Belongs to another motor vehicle, provided that this section does not apply to a motor vehicle that is operated on the streets in this Municipality when the motor vehicle displays license plates that originally were issued for a motor vehicle that previously was owned by the same person who owns the motor vehicle that is operated on the streets in this Municipality, during the thirty-day period described in subsection (c) hereof.

(b) Whoever violates subsection (a)(1), (2) or (3) of this section is guilty of operating a motor vehicle bearing an invalid license plate or identification mark, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree on a first offense and a misdemeanor of the third degree on each subsequent offense.

(ORC 4549.08)

(c) Upon the transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle, the registration of the motor vehicle expires, and the original owner shall immediately remove the license plates from the motor vehicle. The transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued to a succeeding motor vehicle purchased by the same person in whose name the original registration and license plates were issued shall be done within a period not to exceed thirty days. During that thirty-day period, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued may be displayed on the succeeding motor vehicle, and the succeeding motor vehicle may be operated on the streets of the Municipality.

(d) Whoever violates subsection (c) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. (ORC 4503.12)​
The offense is a misdemeanor and he could go to jail. Yes, he probably needs an attorney.

If the vehicle displayed plates belonging to another vehicle, then a crime occurred. Understand that his attorney will point the finger at you and YOU may end up being the one to take the hit for knowingly putting false tags on the car ... assuming I have this right and it is your car.

xylene

Your story is getting more convoluted. Help me / us understand.

Your son was pulled over driving a vehicle. OK He was cited

Whose vehicle was this? In whose name was this vehicle lawfully titled. Titles are for one VIN number and basically one owner only.

The plates - whose were they and were they lawfully registered for the vehicle he was driving?

What is up with this 'trade'? You can't just trade a vehicle and swap the plates without title transfers and registration. Just because this could have been prevented by a few dollars in fees...

This is a 4th degree misdemeanor, and for all our talking the judge is right. He needs a lawyer and is facing possible jail.

DaveJones002

I guess the offense in my state would be misuse of license plates. And this could be serious because if a crime was committed or serious hit or run, you son could get away and not be identified.

But given the plates are yours, I doubt that would have been the case.

We used to have a saying I don't know how accurate it is "you are better off driving with no plates than with the wrong plates".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">