• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a Bully

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legalrevenge

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
If I get in a fight with someone who is a minor, 17, and I am 18, can I be held legally responsible if he hit me first? Also, does it make a difference that he was beatin up really badly?

HomeGuru

legalrevenge said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee
If I get in a fight with someone who is a minor, 17, and I am 18, can I be held legally responsible if he hit me first? Also, does it make a difference that he was beatin up really badly?

**A: what is your point? Did this really happen?

M

Multimom

In Texas it's called "retalliation" and yes you could be charged with assault whether or not it was on a minor really wouldn't matter at this point. I doubt with the age difference being only one year that the court would try to charge you with child abuse.

But yes depending on the extent of the other person's injuries you could be charged with anything from simple assault to aggrivated assault and battery.

JETX

"If I get in a fight with someone who is a minor, 17, and I am 18, can I be held legally responsible if he hit me first? Also, does it make a difference that he was beatin up really badly?"

These questions really have two separate answers:
1) Criminal:
Depending on the specifics of the 'battle', it is possible that you could be charged with Assault (the threat of the fight) or Battery (the fight itself) or both. The determination of charges would be a result of the investigation by law enforcement.

2) Civil:
Depending on the specifics of the 'battle' and the extent of injuries incurred by the other party, you could be found liable for their damages (medical expenses, etc.).

And, yes, proof of who struck the first blow could be important to both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">