• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ep32g79

Wisconsin

I will be going to court to fight a citation I recieved, can anyone provide me with some information or a URL on what will happen when I get there, the court process ect.

Thanks in advance!

H

hmmbrdzz

First and foremost, you may need an attorney! To get an idea of what goes on in court, you can go to the court house to the district court section, sit down, and just watch.

To help your case, you can contact witnesses prior to the hearing date who may be able to provide testimony on your behalf. You can bring them to the hearing with you. The judge may allow them to tell what they heard or saw. You can fill out papers to subpeona witnesses, and if they don't come, let the judge know. Get all the evidence you can to help prove your case. Get pictures, reports, evidence, or anything that will help convince the judge you are correct to dispute the citation. Even if you have no evidence or witnesses, the judge will listen to your story. Tell your story in your own words, but leave out details that have nothing to do with the case. Tell a good story. Rehearse it. Always be on time. Dress professionally, speak directly to the judge, give eye contact, always address him/her as “Your Honor.” Be ready to spend all day in court. When the judge enters the court room, stand up, and when the judge or bailiff asks you to sit, do it. Relax and remain calm. Take deep breaths if you get tense. Never lose your temper. Always tell the truth. If you don’t understand a question, just say so. If you don’t know the answer to a question, just say so. Never make up an answer.

Go to the court room and watch. It'll be good for your "preparation" for your day. Sitting in district court for a few hours and watching can be outright comical (but don't laugh).

If you don't get any url suggestions about court proceedings, go to google.com and type in whatever you're interested in finding out about. You might find just what you need for your case.

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">