• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a Menacing Charge/Outnumbered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Ohio
To begin with, prior to me being accused of menacing, I was assaulted by one of the 'witnesses' husband. That is what started my whole mess, by pressing charges. When I say assaulted, I don't mean pushed or spit on, my head was pounded in and a tooth was broken. That case is going to trial, luckily there were witnesses, and my ex- who pulled the guy off of me, is being subpeonaed despite not making a written statement. He left me the following day, family had a pow-wow and they won, and can have him for all I care.

On the evening of the incident, I was having a glass of champagne with a couple of friends who had just been married, and had checked to make sure the whole bunch I have trouble with was not present, they frequent this establishment. After about an hour, here they all come, excluding the one who assaulted me, but they are in a group of 6 or more at least. My ex is on probation, and I was told to contact local authorities if I see him in the establishment, which has never panned out, the bartender gives them the heads up somehow.

I asked the bartender to use the phone, she says no outgoing calls, so I bought a roll of quarters, she knew I was calling, and said for me to not bring trouble there, that she had warned them too, then I was walked out by her, no contact other than eyes with any of them. Told never to return, I could care less, I am more the homebody and my friends had begged me to come. They said goodbye and we would catch up later. I went to the closest payphone, walked 1/2 block maybe, and reported my ex being in the establishment and the name of his probation officer, as instructed.

About a week later, I recieve papers of a complaint that I was menacing my ex's g/f, which I didn't even make contact with, verbally or physically, and there were several witnesses, which are the same people involved in the assault case, including the wife. I went straight to the police station to get documentation of my phone call, which was made 9 minutes prior to her call. They live 2 blocks from the bar. I haven't gotten the witness statements or police report yet, I was told I need a lawyer to do so. I requested the video tape which runs at the bar, which had helped my friend before when her coat was stolen. I told the cheif that with the tape, I could get them with making a false report, and prove my innosence. Well, seeing how they spend a lot of time and money there, the recording equiptment was not working that day. Yeah right, authorities asked for it rather than demanding it. I have a letter from the cheif saying how I have been trying to obtain the tape for proof, and it was unavailable.

It is coming down to a he said she said, but they rounded up all the friends and family to be witnesses. Do I stand a chance? I denied the plea bargain for disorderly conduct because I didn't do a thing, and have nothing on my record more than a speeding ticket. My public defender told me that my letters mean nothing, even though he didn't look at them or listen to a word I said, he was calling names, and checking off folders before I could try. He said he didn't have time to look at them, and they mean nothing. Is this how it works? I am a single mother of 3 kids and these people have had me in court8 times in the last 2 months, family court for visitation, which they were granted supervised visits, and haven't even tried in over a month to make contact with the visitation house. I have lost wages, and had to pay sitters for all of these court dates, and it's far from over. I even moved to a different county for peace, and they ended up printing out my new address on the court papers, despite my protecton orders.

:mad:

Last edited:

No advice?

Just wondering how you attorneys pick and choose, I know there are far too many to answer them all. My date is set for the 14th on the assault, maybe I can get some documentation for my upcoming menacing charge as well to show its harassment

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">