• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File Simple Battery Charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txbookman1

What is the name of your state? Alabama

5 days ago I left a departmental meeting early. I motioned my director into the hallway and explained I could not stay. He assured me it was okay to leave. Before I could, he began to address problematic behavior on the part of management I had discussed with him on two earlier occasions. During the discussion, he became very irate and started yelling at me to "Shut up! Shut up!". When I continued talking, he forcibly grabbed my right forearm, squeezing for 7-10 seconds. No physical harm was done, but I was shocked that he resorted to getting physical. I then yelled for him to take his hand off me. After several demands, he did so, apologizing.

The only witness to this incident was his manager, who wrote a statement of what he heard, which was only the final moments of the confrontation, after my arm was released. Of course, the statement only addresses my behavior; not his superior's.

Today I was given a written disciplinary warning accusing me of "disorderly conduct" that goes into my personnel file. A second manager was called in to witness the discussion. The director told his side of the story: I was the one who became irate; I was the one who raised my voice; he didn't grab me, but only laid the palm of his hand gently on my arm in an effort to calm me down. When I attempted to speak, he interrupted so many times I gave up.

At my request, I'm scheduled to meet with the hotel's general manager and HR director in 2 days. Neither have been favorable to me in the past. Since Alabama is a Hire-At-Will state, I fully expect to be fired during this meeting. Should I attend? Should I file a "simple battery" charge against the director? Since this is basically a "he said/he said" case with no physical evidence, should I forget the whole thing?

If I file charges, must I pay for a lawyer or may I choose to use a court-appointed lawyer?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss as to what to do. The workplace is definitely hostile and I know I can't remain, but I'm still outraged that a supervisor would speak to a subordinate in such a disrespectful tone of voice and lay hands on me.

Thanks.

seniorjudge

Q: If I file charges, must I pay for a lawyer or may I choose to use a court-appointed lawyer?

A: If you file charges, then the prosecutor takes over the case and represents the government. You don't get a lawyer (unless you just want to hire one for some reason).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">