• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing of formal charges???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanettebalsz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas My 21 year old gay son was arrested for suspicion of rape of an 11 year old boy on 7-2-08, had to sit in jail until 7-7-08 before he could see the judge for a probable cause hearing, she set bail at $75000 (keep in mind he HAS NEVER been in any kind of trouble before) and told us to come back to court on 7-21-08 for the reading of "formal" charges. We did this only to find out that the prosecutor's office had not filed charges yet. We asked for a public defender because we can not afford to hire a private attorney ( they want at least $25000), I was told by the judge that since I had enough money to bail him out I could afford to hire an attorney. He does not live with me but that did not matter, I was told that I should have left my son in jail and used the $1500 I paid the bail bondsman to hire an attorney. As for the charges, we needed to call the prosecutor's office 1-2 times per week to see if they have been filed yet, As of 8-1-08 they still haven't been.

The only evidence they prosecutor has is the word of the boy and a dr who says there is anal scarring but he can't say it was caused by rape.

How long can the prosecutor's office keep making us call in? Do we have to keep paying the bailbondsman if they don't file "formal" charges?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">