• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Aid Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robin091105

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I attended a cosmetology school in 2012 and I dropped out half way through. Now, in 2014, I am trying to go back to the same school. I incurred 975.00 in charges and 6000 loan I took out for "living expenses", which I only received a 900.00 check written from the schools business account. I was told I still had a balance on my tuition and that's what's left. I was naïve and young so I believed them. Now that im trying to go back my husband and i wanted an account history to see what was paid and ect. After I received and thoroughly looked my account over, I noticed a few credits on my account from federal pell and fed loan totaling to the amount of 5080.00. Then I noticed 2 debits on my account for both credits and the description says "refund". My husband and I made an appointment to talk with the director about reentry and our financials. We asked if the "refund" amounts meant that it was refunded to me and she said yes. So, then we asked to see a copy of the cleared checks and everything looks legit on the front, but we weren't able to see who signed and cashed them. I only received one check in the amount of 900.00. How do I go about finding out if someone in the school office cashed my check and if they are embezzling?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I attended a cosmetology school in 2012 and I dropped out half way through. Now, in 2014, I am trying to go back to the same school. I incurred 975.00 in charges and 6000 loan I took out for "living expenses", which I only received a 900.00 check written from the schools business account. I was told I still had a balance on my tuition and that's what's left. I was naïve and young so I believed them. Now that im trying to go back my husband and i wanted an account history to see what was paid and ect. After I received and thoroughly looked my account over, I noticed a few credits on my account from federal pell and fed loan totaling to the amount of 5080.00. Then I noticed 2 debits on my account for both credits and the description says "refund". My husband and I made an appointment to talk with the director about reentry and our financials. We asked if the "refund" amounts meant that it was refunded to me and she said yes. So, then we asked to see a copy of the cleared checks and everything looks legit on the front, but we weren't able to see who signed and cashed them. I only received one check in the amount of 900.00. How do I go about finding out if someone in the school office cashed my check and if they are embezzling?
Ask for a statement. It is unlikely that anyone is embezzling funds.

Robin091105

That's where I'm getting my information from is my "statement" or account history and it is very detailed. They are saying I received the money and I never received it. I also owe the lender for a loan I never received or was it applied to my tuition. I just want to find out who cashed it and where.

Dave1952

You haven't told us why you think anything was embezzled, what's going on? Why did you wait 2 yrs. to go over your final financial statement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">