• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

financial burden

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tericeso

Texas is the state. I was involved in a not-so-clever scheme to give my friends discounts and free merchandise at on-campus bookstore. As it goes I was caught and agreed to settle within the school and pay retribution. About 1.5 years passed and I made no progress paying back the money though. Then one sunny day while speeding in my sister's car I was pulled over. Upon giving the officer my license he told me I had a warrant for my arrest. I had an idea what it was for. I went through the hold criminal procedure and now I have a record. I am paying back $3800 (now at $2600) and it is difficult. What is worse is that I have already graduated with a Bio degree and have lost many job offers due to my criminal record. So I am starting grad school in the fall since I am not so hirable. But regardless of my education my record is evident when human resources runs a background check. My only solution is to pay off this fine and get my record expunged but progress is slow. I have thought about loans but my credit isn't great. Is there any way around this? Advice, please.

S

seniorjudge

"...My only solution is to pay off this fine and get my record expunged but progress is slow. I have thought about loans but my credit isn't great. Is there any way around this? Advice, please...."

If you're asking for legal advice, then my advice is to pay off this fine and get your record expunged.

If you are asking where to get a loan, I do not know.

tericeso

Financial burden II

Ok, is there a way to get the fine reduced or extinguished since I have no prior criminal offenses? Or is it too late since I have signed a contract?

S

seniorjudge

You could go back to the court where you plead guilty and ask for a reduction of the amount you have to pay back.

Don't expect much, however, since the plea bargain was that you pay back x amount of dollars. To come along later and say that your own misdeeds made you unhirable so therefore you want even more from the system probably will not fly.

You cannot profit from your own wrongs.

What would the government get from you in this deal? Nothing that I can tell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">