• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding abandoned property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popolig

What is the name of your state? Maryland

If found a voucher/ticket in an automated teller machine at a MD racetrack. An hour later, when I went to cash the ticket in, the machine locked up and I was approached by several officials and told that someone reported losing this ticket, it was theirs, and I had to return it because they had a computer printout that verified it was someone else's ticket. Did I have to return the abandoned property or could I have kept it?

FlyingRon

You must return things that don't belong to you.
Finders Keepers doesn't exist past the age of six.

CavemanLawyer

Lost is entirely different from abandoned. If the person reported it lost than they obviously had not abandoned it because they were actively looking for it. Yes you had to return it because this person had proof of ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">