• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tj1320

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I don't think there is even a section for this so I apologize if it isn't okay to post it here. I recently had a falling out with what I thought was a good friend.

I am very bitter about it and the guy owes me $2,000 that he said he would never give me. The reason I loaned him the $2,000 is because he got into trouble a long time ago and the authorities finally caught up to him. He told me the charges involved sexual actions with very young children.

I am very mad at him and I would like to get proof of what he did to those children so that I can let his other friends know who they are dealing with. The guy lives in NM now but the charges were brought against him when he lived in Georgia. If it weren't for my $2,000, he would be in prison in Georgia right now. Is there any way that I can get the information (copies) about his case, charges, conviction, witness statements, etc.?

Can I do it myself or would I have to hire a private investigator? Please let me know what my options are.

Last edited:

tj1320

I found something on nmcourts.gov but it just says that a fugitive complaint was issued from Georgia to extradite him. Please help.

outonbail

You do realize that being accused is not necessarily being guilty correct?

Did you think he was guilty when you gave him the $$?

If you have some sort of proof or evidence that he is in fact guilty of the crimes which he is charged with, you should contact the authorities in Georgia and let them know what you know. If they believe it is relevant, they will interview you further and possibly bring you to Georgia to testify.

If you are only trying to smear his reputation, or get some sort of satisfaction out of an act of revenge by informing his friends and family of his charges because he burned you for the $2,000.00, I don't recommend doing so.
It will not help you get your money back and if you plan on using the charges he's facing to state things that you have no way of knowing are true and these statements end up being false, you could be held liable for any damages he suffers as a result of your vindictive actions.

It sounds like he's going to have a hard road ahead of him as it is, so I don't think you're going to accomplish much anyway.

Learn from this experience, get over it and move on. The longer you hold this hate inside of you, the longer this persons actions will continue to hurt you!

Next time someone asks for your financial assistance because of a legal problem, do your research before you lend the money!

tj1320

You do realize that being accused is not necessarily being guilty correct?
Oh, I know. He obviously did something pretty bad because I did find the NM case he has and it says something about him being a wanted fugitive out of Georgia.

Did you think he was guilty when you gave him the $$?
I thought he was innocent at the time and I considered him to be a good friend.

If you have some sort of proof or evidence that he is in fact guilty of the crimes which he is charged with, you should contact the authorities in Georgia and let them know what you know. If they believe it is relevant, they will interview you further and possibly bring you to Georgia to testify.
The thing is, the $2,000 got all of that cleared up. He is good to go as long as he doesn't get into any kind of trouble again. Apparently, he won't have to register as a sex offender in NM or anywhere else as long as he keeps his nose clean.

If you are only trying to smear his reputation, or get some sort of satisfaction out of an act of revenge by informing his friends and family of his charges because he burned you for the $2,000.00, I don't recommend doing so.
It will not help you get your money back and if you plan on using the charges he's facing to state things that you have no way of knowing are true and these statements end up being false, you could be held liable for any damages he suffers as a result of your vindictive actions.
During our falling out, he admitted that he did the things he was accused of. He said that right after he informed me that I wouldn't get my money back. I wouldn't be telling anyone anything that is not true. That is why I want documented proof; just to make sure that they get all facts and no fiction.

It sounds like he's going to have a hard road ahead of him as it is, so I don't think you're going to accomplish much anyway.

Learn from this experience, get over it and move on. The longer you hold this hate inside of you, the longer this persons actions will continue to hurt you!
I guess that makes me a weird person because NOT doing anything eats at me to no end. It is when I've gotten revenge that I am happy again. Stuff sort of like that has happened to me several times in my life where people have basically spat in my face and I got each and every one of them back in a harsh but LEGAL manner. Its not like I would be doing something illegal to the guy. I would just be informing his friends with small children about his unspeakable past.

Next time someone asks for your financial assistance because of a legal problem, do your research before you lend the money!
Hindsight is definitely 20/20. Like I said, I thought he was a good guy. I'll just have to be REALLY careful from now on and limit it to maybe a couple hundred instead of a couple grand.

Do you know of any good online services that will do a background check without ripping someone off? I've checked several different sites, did my homework on them, and all of them have been ripping people off.

I'm sorry if my intentions seem cold-hearted and mean but I can't let this slide. This is the only legal way I can think of to get him back in a similar way to how he got me. I think you would feel for me if you knew exactly how he has treated me. I've basically gone from being the savior of his job and livelihood to being a worthless piece of junk in his eyes. All I did was ask when he could START paying me back and he blew up and took it too far.

outonbail

Well this world doesn't seem to be running short on manipulative people who look for kind hearted people to befriend so they can squeeze money from them.

The first sign you're dealing with someone of questionable character, should come the second they ask for money. I've never asked anyone to borrow money except my parents and I was pretty desperate and felt bad when I asked them. They helped me out, I paid them back, that was it. I had friends offer me the money, but I didn't want to borrow it from a friend because I valued the friendship.

My experience has taught me that the people you shouldn't trust or lend money to, are the ones who would ask you for it. Think about it, I wouldn't want to put a friend on the spot by asking for money and having them to think they are obligated to loan it to me because of our friendship.

Only a selfish person wouldn't think twice about asking. Remember, NO is easy to say!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">