• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgj6976

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? south carolina
I had a ticket in monks corner sc for assault in the 3rd i received a fine for $750 due by December 4 I donot have it what can i do to get more time

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? south carolina
I had a ticket in monks corner sc for assault in the 3rd i received a fine for $750 due by December 4 I donot have it what can i do to get more time
You were found guilty of 3rd degree assault and battery, or did you choose to accept guilt for the misdemeanor charge by paying the fine?

Have you spoken with an attorney since the incident occurred that resulted in the charge?

You might want to talk to one in your area now.

If you have decided not to (or it is too late to) argue the charge, it is important that you go to court and ask about a payment plan BEFORE Friday, December 4 (the due date of the fine). Most courts will work with people in allowing for a payment plan that fits their budget (some courts even allow for community service hours to be performed in lieu of a fine). BUT, courts will generally not want to see you come in on the day the fine is due and claim indigence. It is better to take care of this early.

I DO recommend you speak to an attorney in Monks Corner tomorrow, though, and see what that attorney advises. I am aware of some changes in SC laws this past year and I don't know if they might apply here. Good luck.

Here is a link to the laws: http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/summaryCourtBenchBook/HTML/OffensesE.htm

tgj6976

i tried a payment plan and they will not do it they said if its not paid by friday they will issue a bench warrant... the ? is will they come to my home and pick me up?

quincy

i tried a payment plan and they will not do it they said if its not paid by friday they will issue a bench warrant... the ? is will they come to my home and pick me up?
How long ago were you issued the ticket and how was it handled by you? Or did you choose to ignore the ticket until it has reached the point where you are looking at a bench warrant being issued in the near future?

The bench warrant will allow a law enforcement officer to arrest you immediately where you are located, this whether you have committed another offense or not. You will probably face jail time if you are unable to pay the fine and you cannot meet the December 4 deadline for payment.

I recommend you contact an attorney in your area NOW before the bench warrant is issued. You no longer have the luxury of delay or seeking help on a forum. You need help in your area from an attorney who can perhaps work a few miracles for you.

Good luck.

tgj6976

I went to court November 12th and I plead guilty the judge gave me the fine of $750..... I have 5 children and my wife has been out of work due to an illness... its not like i didnt go to court because i did go to court I just didnot know my wife was going to be out of work im having a hard time just keeping up on the bills.... I have seen on forums that say a bench warrant they wont pick you up at your home... I am not saying I wont pay I just need a little more time?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I went to court November 12th and I plead guilty the judge gave me the fine of $750..... I have 5 children and my wife has been out of work due to an illness... its not like i didnt go to court because i did go to court I just didnot know my wife was going to be out of work im having a hard time just keeping up on the bills.... I have seen on forums that say a bench warrant they wont pick you up at your home... I am not saying I wont pay I just need a little more time?
Now we're back to you heading to court and asking for some more time...I'd suggest that you pay SOMETHING if you haven't already.

quincy

The courts in South Carolina will consider payment arrangements but the time to address your need for such an arrangement should actually have been when you were sentenced and ordered to pay the fine. I see your best chance of making this arrangement now as being through an attorney, although you can go to court BEFORE the due date (which is approaching rapidly) and speak with the court clerk to see if that will work. I know of court clerks who have spoken to the judge at the time of appearance, to ask if the judge will allow for an extension or an arrangement in a specific case, and the judge has granted extensions/a payment plan. It depends on the court, the court clerk, and the judge.

The reason I am emphasizing you head to court BEFORE the 4th is because, if you appear on the 4th and cannot pay, you have a good chance of being jailed immediately and you might not be released until you pay the fine in full.

If you are not going to listen to the advice to seek out an attorney NOW (which is what I recommend you do), then start contacting friends and family members to see if you can gather together the amount you owe before Friday's due date, or see if you can sell an item or two to cover the cost of your fine. I would not let this get to the point of a bench warrant.

And, in the future, do not commit crimes.

Proserpina

Plasma donation. You could feasibly do it twice before the 4th and have at least something to show good faith.

(SC does have a few centers - you'd have to see just how local they are to you)

quincy

... and have at least something to show good faith ...
I like the "thinking outside the box" idea of plasma donation, Pro.

The key to avoiding jail time could be in showing good faith - something to go toward reducing the amount of the fine and a plan to pay the rest in the near future. The court might also be willing to order community service hours as an alternative.

But tgj6976 cannot ignore the fine. To do that would be a big mistake on his part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">