• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firearm charge, erroneous,PLZ HELP, this is getting worse.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skiingsean

Firearm charge, PLZ Help Me, Dont know where to turn

What is the name of your state? Arizona

About 2 weeks ago I received a "Reckless Discharge of a Firearm" charge which is a Class-6 felony. I had removed a firearm from a drunk person who happens to be a friend. The firearm was not the property of either him nor I, it was my roommates who was NOT home at the time. After removing the firearm from this person and in the process of disarming it, the firearm went off, it did not hit anything as it was pointed in a safe direction with no possibility of injury or damage. There were police officers in the area who heard this and came and proceeded to arrest me.

That is the <SHORT> version of the story with the details left out, however, that IS what happened. The other details do not play into the need for help or defense or posecution in this case.

Since then I spent 18hrs in jail and was released into the custody of "Adult Probation" as the judge would not allow me to post bond. Today I was supposed to appear for my initial court hearing at 1300 hrs, as my paperwork states. I found out today that behind my back my charges were changed to a non-felony, Disorderly Conduct With a Firearm, and that my court hearing was rescheduled for 0930hrs.

I missed that hearing. I wrote a plea to the judge to rescind the decision to issue an arrest warrant, and prove that I was at the court all day, and trying to do as I had been ordered, I even made a copy of the papers that I had.

My request was denied. I now have an arrest warrent out for my arrest. I have been told that I can simply appear in court on Monday at 0900hrs, as that is the next time court will be held.

I am a graduating college student with a clean record until now, and am finishing up an application package for Navy OCS as a Pilot, this just keeps getting worse. I am afraid that if I show up on Monday to plead not guilty they will take me to jail for 20+ days until pre-trial.

Is this true? What should I do? Every person in the legal department refuses to talk to me, even the public defenders at this point as I havent been afforded one.

Please I need some real advice.
~Sean

Last edited:

CdwJava

The warrant is not going away. You have to take care of it. To do that, you have to show up, get arraigned, get a lawyer assigned to you, and take care of the matter.

You may have to spend a few days in jail before this gets done, but it's better than letting it hang over you for years as you look over your shoulder.

Carl

skiingsean

thanks

Thanks for the reply, I appeared in court the this past monday and had the warrant quashed. I will be going for pretrial on the 28th and from what I have heard I may end up ok in the end.

Thanks
Sean

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">