• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first misdemeanor, seeking advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seattlecyclist

What is the name of your state? WA
So, I'm not sure how big a deal this actually is, maybe someone can help.
I recieved a criminal citation with a mandatory court appearance that is yet to be scheduled.
My offense is "Refusal to cooperate with Officer"
I went through a red light on my bicycle when there was no cross traffic, which I thought was legal since bikes usually don't trip the signal change detector in the ground, but the cop who stopped me had no interest in listening to my protests.
So anyway, the cop stopped me and wanted to see my driver's licence. Which I refused on the grounds that a driver's licence was not required to operate a bicycle. (first mistake) So I was pissed and not thinking clearly and thought it would be fun to give BS info (second mistake) He verified the info was false and the cop then proceeded to try to intimidate me by threatening arrest and impounding of my bicycle! At this point I caved and gave all correct info and he gave me a traffic ticket and the aforementioned criminal ticket with a court hearing. I thought it was only a crime to lie under oath, wrong again.
So if your still reading at this point, I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm in for. How serious is this? Should I get a lawyer? I don't particularly want a criminal record.

FlyingRon

Should I get a lawyer? I don't particularly want a criminal record.
Yes, get a lawyer. Call up the local bar association office, they will often be able to refer you. An initial consulation won't cost you too much and let you know what your options are.

Did they charge you for running the red light too? The lawyer may be able to negotiate away the resisting charge if you plead guilty to the red light (which you admit to having done). Anyhow, if you do go to court, your lawyer can probably also arrange a PBJ so if you keep your nose clean you won't end up with a record.

seattlecyclist

i got a separate ticket for the light which is a generic "Rights and duties of bicycle riders"
I'm a bit worried about the criminal ticket for me just being stupid.
sorry for my ignorance but whats a PBJ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">