• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time and caught

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KnightTrane

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

Hello,

I am a 20 year old, first time offender who was recently cited for shoplifting from the store in which I worked. The official citation states that I was charged with shoplifting under $100 dollars, but the circumstances of the incident would lead me to believe that this is in error. The actual merchandise was removed from the store by another employee that worked in the freight area. The intent was to sell me the merchandise at a later time, and he gave the merchandise to me to put in my car which is where it was found. Seeing as I was not responsible for physically removing the merchandise, shouldn't I argue in court that I was only in possession of stolen goods? Will I be able to have this expunged from my record? What kind of penalties should I be expecting? Any help would be greatly appreciated

KT

O

OSNNG2L

First off I would like to say just get a job, keep a job, and pay for the things directly from the store. That is a NO BRAINER!

As for your question...Its like drugs...Don't matter where they came from or how they got there...The fact of the matter is that the stolen goods were in your possession which makes you entirely responsible for the crime...Unless you are able to prove who else was involved as then they would be an accomplace (if spelled right) after the fact...Which then they would get a different set of charges, but being the equipment was in your possession you are going to get the biggest rap.

If you had a clean record prior as you seem to have stated then most likely for a first offense with a small valued item...If you server anytime its most likely going to be 30 days if that...But is rare in these instances.

My guess is you will get slapped on the wrist with a fine to pay and maybe community service...But other than that I think you aren't going to get anything big. But that is just my opinion with the knowledge of what I know...

If you want a more true answer, then you are best calling an attorney and getting a free consultation from them if they offer it to see what your chances are.

Let this be a lesson learned to stay away from trouble and shoplifting for next time It will be even worse since then it won't be your first charge then.

Well, hope that helped...Good Luck!!!

K

KnightTrane

In addition

It was brought ot my attention that I left out the fact that it was indeed found to be that way. The person who actually took the merchandise was found to have done such, he admitted it to the manager and the police, and was cited as such.

KT

O

OSNNG2L

Re: In addition

KnightTrane said:
It was brought ot my attention that I left out the fact that it was indeed found to be that way. The person who actually took the merchandise was found to have done such, he admitted it to the manager and the police, and was cited as such.

KT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well then you will still be charged as the accomplice and will still have to at least pay a fine for it...Jail time less likely, but still will probably end up with a fine...Just go in to the court when you go and be honest...The more honest you are the less stiffer the penalty may become...Just think twice before you ever think about doing anything like that again is all I can say...

Well Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">