• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Criminal Offender w/Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kjadams96

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi,

I was sentenced to 5 yrs probation and charged with the following offense: Count One, Violation 18, US Code Sect 287, including making Restitution payments. This was my first and definately my LAST offense. I am in my 3rd yr of probation and have been following all of the conditions, as required. I have several questions and would appreciate any assistant in receiving accurate feedback.

1) Will this remain on my criminal background record indefinately? If so, how long will employers have access to my criminal background record?

2) I was reviewing my Presentence Report and noticed that I was assigned a USM #, however I was not assigned an FBI #. What does this mean?

3) I accessed my case file online through PACER and noticed that there were two Citation codes listed in the text field, Violation 18, US Code 287 and Violation 18, US Code 2. However, in the Citation Code field Violation 18, US code 287 was listed. After reviewing all of my court documents, I noticed that everything refers to Violation 18, US Code Sect 287. My question is, "Is the Citation Text incorrect? If not, how can I proceed in getting it corrected?

4) I am currently making $100 restitution payments, based on the Judges recommendation. However, because of the large amount that I have to repay, it will not be paid in full by the time my probationary period ends. Will there be additional conditions I will have to comply with until the restitution is paid in full?

5) I recently did a little research and learned that after 20 yrs the restitution cannot be enforced. However, a judgement will remain on file and the credit reporting agencies will be notified. Is this accurate information?

6) I recently ordered 3 criminal background checks on myself from online services. Two came back with "No Records Found" and I am currently awaiting results from the last service who is suppose to obtain the information directly from the court. My question is: If an employer runs a criminal background check on me, what type of information will they receive?

Again, I appreciate any assistance in answering my questions. And, many, many thanks go out to those responsible for providing their services!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">