• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Larceny Misdemenor charges(shoplifting items worth $140) in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yorkman

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Charges : First Time Larcecny Misdemenor charges(shoplifting items worth $140) in Newport News, VA.

My cousin is in trouble for shoplfting 2 items , total worth about $140 (under $200- petty larceny) from a wholesale discount club like Sams. He was caught by the store & they called cops on him. The Police issued him a yellow ticket with a court date for next week and let him go. This is his first offense & he has never been arrested or charged.

Here are my questions:

1. Should we hire a lawyer and try to get the best deal out of this ? Should i try to plead the store to somehow forgive him with fines & some sort of punishment and drop the case.. (im sure thats anywhere close to possible, but is it woth trying)

2. Will he have to do any "prison time" (cops sated that he may be let off with fines & some community work, since they did not find any records on him - first offense) ?

3. If it turns out to be just fines & community services, will he still be considered a criminal (or someone who has done a criminal offense) ?

4. Will he still have to go to police station & have photo taken and finger printed in their criminla database, as he is afraid this might seriously jeopardise his future (job).

PLEASE REPLY URGENTLY...

MANY MANY THANKS FOR ALL WHO HELPS.

Last edited:

garrula lingua

Sorry, you can't 'undo' his actions.

I wouldn't bother contacting the store - it's up to the Prosecutor to file charges, not the store.
Also, you have to be careful of 'witness tampering/ dissuading a witness' charges- you should not be trying to influence the 'victim' of any crime to drop the charges. That smacks of coercion.

He will probably not have to serve any 'jail' time, other than to be booked; he'll probably have to do community service or pay fines or both.

He will have a criminal record. If he's ever asked if he's been convicted of a misdemeanor, he will have to respond in the affirmative.
The conviction will harm his future job prospects, especially if he wants to work in law enforcement or banking.

It wouldn't hurt to consult/hire an atty, but I don't believe they can change anything.
There is usually an eyewitness and, frequently, video tape showing the theft. Jury trials can be very embarrassing for defendants in those cases, and the Judges usually ratchet up the punishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">