• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First time offense. Don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaynuwave6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was arrested for Retail Theft for goods totaling about $109. I was given a court date in about 3 weeks.

I am 21 and it is my first offense of any kind and I don't really know how to proceed legally. The cops who arrested me said that it would "be no big deal" and that, at most, I would get "monitoring and maybe some small community service". I just want to know if anyone has any idea if I should get a lawyer for my court date/ prepare some kind of defense or is this something that I shouldn't sweat.

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

quincy

I was arrested for Retail Theft for goods totaling about $109. I was given a court date in about 3 weeks.

I am 21 and it is my first offense of any kind and I don't really know how to proceed legally. The cops who arrested me said that it would "be no big deal" and that, at most, I would get "monitoring and maybe some small community service". I just want to know if anyone has any idea if I should get a lawyer for my court date/ prepare some kind of defense or is this something that I shouldn't sweat.

The theft of goods under $300 is a Class A misdemeanor. If convicted of the charge, you will have a criminal record that can wreak havoc on your school opportunities, employment choices, travel plans, financial life and personal relationships.

Here is a link to the law: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilccs/ilcs4.asp?ActID=18776&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=39200000&SeqEnd=39700000

Although you are probably eligible for a first offender program (deferred adjudication/diversion), I recommend you have an attorney assist you with this. Good luck.

Eekamouse

It may be your first offense but it's probably not the first time you've shoplifted, is it? Maybe you'll learn from this unpleasant experience and stop stealing in the future.

Just Blue

Any advice is welcomed
. Thanks.
It may be your first offense but it's probably not the first time you've shoplifted, is it? Maybe you'll learn from this unpleasant experience and stop stealing in the future.
:cool:

Just to remind OP that any advice was welcomed. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">