• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flag burning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legalrevenge

What is the name of your state? Tennnessee
My brother is going to burn an American flag for a project he is doing on the first amendment and free speech. What are the laws regarding flag burning, he is not retiring a flag, he just acquired one and is going to burn it on film for this project.

HomeGuru

legalrevenge said:
My brother is going to burn an American flag for a project he is doing on the first amendment and free speech. What are the laws regarding flag burning, he is not retiring a flag, he just acquired one and is going to burn it on film for this project.

**A: why the American flag? Why not the flag of Iraq or North Korea?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

legalrevenge said:

Copy and paste this link into your browser without the on each side: [url]http://www.esquilax.com/flag/

L

legalrevenge

For him it was how to be a jackass in one easy step, step 1 be born. the rest is history he is the biggest idiot I know, I'm just trying to keep him out of jail.

L

loocpoc

Its not against the law but Iam sure he might get beat up.

B

BorednDsm

Flag Burning

The case you want to look at is Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989). Its the United Supreme Court case that held an individual cannot be held criminally liable for burning a flag. The court found burning a flag is a form of expression of political speech which is protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. If you can't find the case yourself let me know and I will email you a copy of the case so you can get an understanding of it.

D

DRN

If our idiots in DC ever mar the Bill of Rights with an amendment criminalizing burning the flag, I'm going to be the first person in NY, hopefully the country, to burn one on the steps of the nearest federal courthouse.

I served to protect the right to free speech, not to protect a flag. I served to protect the ideals the flag represents, not the flag itself.

I'd luuuuuuuuuve to be the test case in the Supreme Court.

Kruser

I hope i'm there also, wrap the flag around your your waist, so i can kick it up around your ears. The flaf represents certain ideals, a lot of people died for its protection. Why don't you get a Candian under reach arm and go to canada with the rest of the traitors. Look at your senator , and her husband , there a pair of true americans like you.

D

DRN

Kruser,

Your post only shows that you have absolutely no understanding of the rights protected by the Bill of Rights.

You obviously failed reading comprehension since you missed what I said about ideals.

I served '73-'76 so I think I've earned the right to protest any stupid thing our legislature does in any peaceful manner I choose. That, my friend, is freedom of speech and freedom of participation.

And Clinton did not get elected by winning the vote of every New Yorker. Try posting something a little more thought through next time.

F

furnacerepairma

burning a flag? when i look at a flag i think about all the dead people that died from defending our country, free speach? the way i look at it its the easy way to whizz on our country's defenders all at the same time, this is a dishonor to himself, if this is free speach etc. then a reasonable person would say that someone can go out a beat a flagburner has freedom of expression to.

Kruser

freedom of speech has some limitations also , yelling fire ,causing a panic, insiting a riot , etc. flag burning i believe comes under freedom of expression,a lot like a one finger salute. please use all five fingers when you wave. i two served, 61 to 63 flag burning, is as bad a insult to me as calling me names.i did nuclear warfare for 35 years, and chemical warfare for one.terrible thing to have to do but thats what it takes.
disrespect, losing our rights, like tresspasing, illegal searching etc, is aiding or enemys.lady justice is tipping the scales more and now has a bouble blindfold.

D

DRN

Flag burning may insult you. That's okay. So, don't watch it . Don't do it.

Exercise your freedom of association and don't associate with people that burn the flag. It's that simple.

If you don't like what a speaker is saying, don't gag him. Walk away. Don't listen.

If you don't like a book or CD, don't burn them. Don't buy them. Don't listen to them.

That's how it works, boys.

M

Meenatoad

Don't burn it at te Courthouse or you WILL get arrested. Some guy tried that at our county courthouse and was taken to jail. It had noting to do with the flag or the first amendment; it had something to do with intentionally starting a fire on government property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">