• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Age of Consent question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eklectic

I've tried to find out what the official say on a particular situation would be, and I'm still not clear on it.

I live in the state of Florida, and I'm 17. Would my boyfriend, who is 23, be breaking the law if we had sex?

Please and Thank you.

hmtito

Can you wait?

In Florida, you are a minor until you reach the age of 18 years. Technically, you are a minor and your boyfriend is not. That said, the Florida Statutes read as follows:

West's F.S.A. § 794.05
794.05. Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors

(1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, “sexual activity” means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In order to be perfectly safe, tell him to keep it zipped until you're 18. Florida is perhaps the strictest state of all when it comes to protecting minors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">