• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Gambling Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaperPlanes

I live in Florida and a local bar does a gimmic where if you flip a coin and it comes up heads your shot is free. Tails, and the shot is normal price.

Is this legal? And if so, why?

xylene

I live in Florida and a local bar does a gimmic where if you flip a coin and it comes up heads your shot is free. Tails, and the shot is normal price.

Is this legal? And if so, why?
"Flip Night" is a traditional bar promotion.

It is quasi legal, and may be subject alcohol beverage regulations.

It depends on if nothing is risked by the patron, it isn't really gambling, just a gimmic.

Here is an example (the heads tails, call it doesn't matter...)

If the Bar is playing it like

Heads= Free drink
Tails= Pay for your drink and get your shot

That isn't gambling, since there was no risk.

IF this is the bars game:

Heads = Free drink
Tails = No Drink and You Pay

That is gambling...

Let's put it this way, if the agency that regulates licensed premises for the sale of alcohol has a problem with it, they will put an end to it.

If you believe they don't know about it, go ahead and complain.

If it is legal or regulated, I would strongly suspect it would be because of rules about giving away alcohol or discounting fixed prices, which is expressly forbidden is some states. I don't know in Florida, but I am sure the rulebook is readily available online.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">