• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida simple battery upgraded to a felony battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unclemark1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My daughter was arrested 8/22/2010 and charged with a simple battery and resisting an officer without violence to his person. After hearing different accounts of what happened, everyone is telling me my daughter was defending herself against this other young woman. The woman came into my daughters home and was hitting and pushing on my daughter. My daughter began fighting her back to, naturally, defend herself. The young woman proceeds to pick up a vase to throw at my daughter and in the process falls with the vase to the floor injuring herself. She, the other woman, ended up with a cut on the side of her face which required some 158 stitches to close up the open wound. My initial thought is that this case is open and shut, self-defense clear the calendar everybody let's go home. Not so, when we went to court this past Friday, her public defender told my ex and I that her charges were being upgraded to a felony battery; wtf. I wasn't there and didn't see any of the events as they took place, but as a parent you don't want to see your child get the shaft for defending themselves. Besides, I do believe that Florida has a Stand Your Ground Law that allows us to protect ourselves against those who would do us harm. My question is, what can I expect now that these charges are being upgraded from a misdemeanor to a felony? My daughter is now looking at up to 5 years in prison. Secondly, she doesn't have a criminal record, is a first time offender, isn't there some leniency offered to first time offenders? And finally, I really don't have the money to hire an expensive attorney and we are just letting the public defenders office handle the case. My attorney who I have used in the past want's 1500 dollars and I can get it from my retirement account, however, I don't have all the facts involved with this case, I have a gut feeling something is being left out. Should I wait and see what evidence they have against my daughter and go from there or should I just give up $1500 that I really can't afford. I have other kids to support and take care of as well. I am confused as hell and don't know what to do. My apologies for the long post but man I need help. Thanks everyone.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

I definitely think you need all the facts before progressing. It definitely sounds like something is left out. Self defense and stand your ground don't extend to retaliation, for instance.

Felonies don't progress quickly. There will be plenty of time to determine probable cause, etc...

unclemark1973

If I talk with the prosecuting attorney, do I have any legal grounds to see the information he/she may be using to pursue their case against my daughter?

cyjeff

Since she is living on her own, I will presume her to be over 18.

You have no more right to demand any evidence or other discussion in the case than I do.

CdwJava

Clearly the fact that the victim had to receive 158 stitches as a result of some act on your daughter's part is sufficient to constitute a felony. Self defense is a defense of justification and the burden of proof will be on her to show that her actions were necessary and reasonable to protect herself. However, if her actions are seen as retaliatory, or if she is determined to be the primary aggressor, this may not happen.

And even if she managed to plead to a misdemeanor or even might be acquitted, the other party can still try to sue her for the cost of her medical treatment and maybe even pain and suffering.

unclemark1973

Yes, my daughter turned 18 three months ago. She is living with her mom, and all of the information I posted in my original reply was exactly how it was told to me. Well, thanks to everyone that replied. Your reponses have helped me a lot. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">