• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food stamp fraud/investigation -- How to prove to them.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am just so unsure what to do at this point. I have received some amount of food stamps for several years, it usually is a small monthly amount, I always report all income, and timely report changes. I wish I did not need any help, but until I get done with college my income is just poor, poor, poor.

Well I got a call about 2 weeks ago from a lady (not my caseworker) requesting all paycheck stubs for me and spouse from 2009. I immediately did fax all this to her. She called me last week stating there is a form that was submitted from my employer that had some questionable paycheck amounts listed, so it was looked in to. I am unsure who filled out the form, as it was sent to human resources, and I work for a HUGE medical company that literally has about 100 HR people. I was sent the form and faxed it in with other needed info. I really didn't pay attention to the things the employer filled out, as I said I've got assistance for awhile, so this was normal. It seems HR wrote the pay check amounts after taxes in, vs. before taxes. So since this flagged investigation, they had to investigate the entire year.

So I get another call from the lady today, she asks me the dates my husband and I were separated. I did report these changes as well. In March, I let them know he had left the home, he actually had a restraining order, forced to leave. He got an apartment, we filed for divorce. In Aug. we began counseling and then in Nov. he did move back in with me, again I reported the changes. So I told her these dates, and she said that she doesn't show the papers I faxed in stating he moved back in with me in Nov. So she's questioning if he ever moved out I guess. She asked to see a copy of his lease. I told her I would get this to her asap, I also offer copies of bills, which she said is not good enough, she wanted lease. So I call husband, of course, he through it all away when he moved out. UNSURE why he would do this!!!! He did break lease, and so due to this left owing them money. So I call the apartments and ask for a faxed copy of lease, she tells me he must be the one to request. He didn't want to call them, but I'm not going to get blamed for a lie that didn't happen. So he calls and asked for a copy of a lease that is no longer active, she at first is helpful, but once gets his file she said she's not faxing anything b/c who's to say he's who he says he is...doesn't offer a way to get a copy, hangs up. I am sure that they had to get proper eviction b/c he left without forwarding info, and although we are trying to work it out, I do not agree with his $$ handling. I'm unsure how to get a copy of the lease, or how to prove to her he did not live here all this time. My lease has my name only and the kids...she didn't ask for this.

The problem (what I think happened) is that right in Nov. my caseworker quit, when I called to report the change I was passed around to 2-3 other case workers "filling in" so I faxed info several times. Then I was given a perm. caseworker in Jan, and did my 6 month re-cert. She went through my full file, she had some things but others she did not. Probably due to the fact I was passed around so many times.

I figured if they don't believe he wasn't gone, they can add his income to what I had for the months, he was working as a temp and only making 8.50 per hour, and I think during this time it equaled roughly 4,000 total. So I if they don't believe me I would need to pay that back, but I am worried they will charge other things, even though it's 100% true.

Husband is going to go up to the old apartments on Monday and try in person to get a copy of this. I have tried to find anything on-line as public records for eviction filing but no luck.

BL

I didn't see a question ,but why didn't you wait to see if hubby gets a copy of the old lease on Mon. before asking a question ?

Surely he must have changed addresses with the postal services ?

Nowadays they send confirmations of that , but then again ,if he's a tosser ,oh well maybe the post office has records .

Sent the lease, I got a copy from the legal place that orginally sent him papers for an eviction.

So I fax them to this lady today, I call to let her know I faxed them to her with cover letter. So now she said, well since you show the lease, there's a paper filled out by your employer, human resources that seems a paycheck amount is different, so we need to find out if you asked them to do this.

Now at this point I'm really getting ticked, I mean REALLY? The HR dept isn't anywhere near me, all stuff is via mail, fax or online. I only went there once upon hire, and never since.

Why in the world are they grasping at straws like this? I don't care who in HR wrote what, I sent my check stubs, period. I mean if they believe I owe them some amount of funds back, then just request it and be done. All this stuff is nuts to me.

BL

Sent the lease, I got a copy from the legal place that orginally sent him papers for an eviction.

So I fax them to this lady today, I call to let her know I faxed them to her with cover letter. So now she said, well since you show the lease, there's a paper filled out by your employer, human resources that seems a paycheck amount is different, so we need to find out if you asked them to do this.

Now at this point I'm really getting ticked, I mean REALLY? The HR dept isn't anywhere near me, all stuff is via mail, fax or online. I only went there once upon hire, and never since.

Why in the world are they grasping at straws like this? I don't care who in HR wrote what, I sent my check stubs, period. I mean if they believe I owe them some amount of funds back, then just request it and be done. All this stuff is nuts to me.
It may be nuts to you ,but with the amount of fraud that goes on and questionable goings on ( such as no address change ) , investigations happen .

Years ago , welfare applicants actually would ask anyone nearby the office to sign a note that they needed for proof for their worker ( that they no longer had a live in boyfreind ,etc.). In reality , lie .

So don't be so surprised .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">