• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forewarding postal mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J0hn

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this question should go in a different forum, but here goes...

Here is the hypothetical situation: Someone whom I don't know personally sends me an envelope by US mail. This envelope contains another envelope that is stamped, addressed and prepared for postage. It is understood between the sender and myself that I am to drop this inner letter into a mailbox, to be sent via USPS to its destination.

My questions: First, does the act that I described above (of putting another's mail into a mailbox) in itself violate any state or federal laws?
Second, and less important, would I or could I be held legally responsible for the contents or consequences of the article of mail that I have forewarded? For example if the mail contained a death threat or the like?

Let me know if anything needs clarification, and thanksfor any help,
J

J0hn

I did some research and found nothing in Title 39, which deals with the postal service, that mentions that it is unlawful to drop off mail that is from someone else (as I had suspected). But if the mail that I foreward is used to commit a crime, could I be held as an accessory to the crime? Even unknowingly havine helped?
Thanks

JETX

J0hn said:
First, does the act that I described above (of putting another's mail into a mailbox) in itself violate any state or federal laws?
Second, and less important, would I or could I be held legally responsible for the contents or consequences of the article of mail that I have forewarded? For example if the mail contained a death threat or the like?

Let me know if anything needs clarification, and thanksfor any help,
J
Sorry, but we don't do 'homework'... nor do we 'play' in the theoretical world of 'maybe'.

J0hn

Jetx, what exactly do you object to in my question? The fact that I wish to know whether an act is against the law before I put myself in a position whereby I could be held legally responsible for a crime? If you have something helpful to add, please pipe in, but don't go out of your way to patronize me. I doubt you would talk to me in such a manner in person.

CdwJava

Okay then, a simple real-world answer: Yes, you CAN be held liable as part of any criminal enterprise.

The average person would find this sort of activity very odd and any jury could only believe that your picture would be under the word "gullible" in the dictionary, or, you were complicit in the criminal act.

If you are participating in this, and it is a criminal enterprise, then expect a stint in federal AND state prisons.

- Carl

J0hn

Okay then, a simple real-world answer: Yes, you CAN be held liable as part of any criminal enterprise.
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have explained the situation fully to avoid confusion. I don't aim to become involved in criminal activity. The situation I described is a case of abuse of the system. Long story... anyway I think I've got it figured out

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">