• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie24

I have a question for anyone and i need advice. I am a new landlord, and rent out a house. The present tenant has been a nightmare. Anyways, the tenant came by my house to sign 2 cheques for his wife forgot to sign them. I asked if the account was joint and he said yes, and signed them, and left. I put the 2 cheques away for later deposits. To my dismay, he had signed his wife's name, on both cheques. I later called and told his wife to send me 2 more cheques, for i was not getting involved in forgery, and they immediately sent 2 more. Now, my question is, with this tenant, i am afraid he is going to take off (long story) and leave me with the damages to the house. He moves out end of Feb. Can i suggest to him, if he takes care of the damages etc, and leave the premises clean and neat, that i will return his 2 forged cheques. That way, it may put the fear in him, not to rip me off. What do you think, and what is the law as far as forged cheques, (jail)?? Thank you.

Proserpina

I have a question for anyone and i need advice. I am a new landlord, and rent out a house. The present tenant has been a nightmare. Anyways, the tenant came by my house to sign 2 cheques for his wife forgot to sign them. I asked if the account was joint and he said yes, and signed them, and left. I put the 2 cheques away for later deposits. To my dismay, he had signed his wife's name, on both cheques. I later called and told his wife to send me 2 more cheques, for i was not getting involved in forgery, and they immediately sent 2 more. Now, my question is, with this tenant, i am afraid he is going to take off (long story) and leave me with the damages to the house. He moves out end of Feb. Can i suggest to him, if he takes care of the damages etc, and leave the premises clean and neat, that i will return his 2 forged cheques. That way, it may put the fear in him, not to rip me off. What do you think, and what is the law as far as forged cheques, (jail)?? Thank you.

Your spelling of "cheques" suggests that you're not in the US....is that correct?

If so, you'll need a different forum - this one is for US law only.

If not, you'll need to list your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">