• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged Signature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

forgery_victim

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

This may be a little complicated, but here goes:

My former husband and I purchased a mobile home with the help of his cousin. She put up a CD for colladeral on the loan.

During divorce procedings, he stated that the home (loan) was no longer in my name so, I did not have any claim to it.

I signed over any and all rights to the home to him in lieu of him signing over any rights for child support (our underage child lives with him, her choice. We have joint custody).

I have not gotten an explanation as to how my name got off of any of the loan forms or title to the home. When my lawyer questioned him about who signed my name he said something about the CD being cashed in for the loan.

Can I still press charges for forgery of my signature on a legal document?

Thanks in advance for your help!

seniorjudge

Q: Can I still press charges for forgery of my signature on a legal document?

A: You don't say how long ago that happened, so the statute of limitations may have run, meaning the government cannot prosecute the bad person.

But who forged what on what "legal document"?

Give us some facts.

"I signed over any and all rights to the home to him...."

If you did this, then I am not sure who you think wronged you and why. Please explain.

Some Random Guy

Do you really know that there was a forgery?

"When my lawyer questioned him about who signed my name he said something about the CD being cashed in for the loan."

Well, if they paid off the loan, then there was no signature required. No money owed = no loan.

No go to www.annualcreditreport.com (the authentic free site) and get a copy of your credit report. If the loan shows as being paid off, then all is well. If the loan is showin as still open, then you have more questions to ask of your lawyer and your ex.

JETX

forgery_victim said:
Can I still press charges for forgery of my signature on a legal document?
Your post provides NO suggestion that fraud existed. For all you (or we) know, the CD was cashed and the note paid in full.

forgery_victim

Q: Can I still press charges for forgery of my signature on a legal document?

A: You don't say how long ago that happened, so the statute of limitations may have run, meaning the government cannot prosecute the bad person.

"Done within the last 4 years, not sure when."

But who forged what on what "legal document"?

"title to the home"

I signed over any and all rights to the home to him....

If you did this, then I am not sure who you think wronged you and why. Please explain.

"I didn't sign over the title. I just signed a paper stating that I didn't want the home."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">