• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mandk

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My husbands Xwife received 2 insurance checks for a theft at their house when the house and insurance was in both of their names. He was not living in the house at the time. The checks were made out to both of them and the xwife forged the x husbands name and cashed them. One of the checks was for over $10,000 and the other for $500.00. We also believe that she forged his signature on a credit card application and are trying to get a copy of the signature on the application at this time. The credit card company is saying that they do not know if they still have a copy of the app. or not. This all took place in 1997 and 1998 but we have just found out about it. Can we do anything to her for this? Is the credit card company required to have this application on file? Can we make them provide us with a copy of the application? If they do not have the application are we liable for this since he did not use this card? Thank you for your help!

AmosMoses

Contact the cops about the forged checks...

...let them work on the forgery deal. As far as the forging of the name on the credit app., I would think that if thay were still married at the time, and your state is a community property state, he would still be liable for half of the debt, but I don't know. I don't know if you can consider a debt like one in which the husband's name was forged as non-community responsible (or whatever you call it), but you could find out...likely someone here will tell you that. If this lady has nothing, probably the best you can do is just to get her nailed for forgery anyway, but I understand you wanting that debt discharged.

I don't understand the credit card company "not knowing if they have a copy of this application or not"...either they do or they don't, so keep harping on it until you find out. Write and save letters up the chain of command. good luck.

AmosMoses

See...

...that's why you need to be careful listening to people like me. I have the heart to want to answer, by lack the head to do it properly. I need a big discalimer as a signature (kinda like Susie's in fact), but I think that to most people that it is obvious that whatever I say is at best an uninformed layman's guess. Thank you, Susie!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">