• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LHO

What is the name of your state? Texas

Someone has used a bank withdrawal slip (generic form provided by the bank), put my name on the slip, put my drivers lic. num. on it, signed my name and withdrew $500 from my account.

The local police told me this was a civil not criminal issue. Some one fraudulantly used my name, SIGNED my name & stole money from me. You mean to tell me this is not a crime????????

L

LHO

If we do know/think we know, isn't it a police matter? They say no.

stephenk

did the person also have your bank account number?

just your name and driver license number is not enough to withdraw money from an account.

L

LHO

Forgery

Yes, they also had my checking account number, which they also wrote on the withdrawal slip.

B

beertube70

Let the bank handle it.

Present the item to your financial institution as a forgery. They will verify the forged item, make you sign some paperwork and then reimburse you the money.

Once you have received your funds, it is up to the financial institution to take the matter to the police.

JETX

Beertube is exactly correct. The bank has a 'fiduciary duty' to protect your funds in their custody and control. The failed in that duty by not verifying the authenticity of the presenter.

The bank will want you to sign an affidavit verifying that you were not the person who signed or presented the withdrawal, then they SHOULD return the funds to your account. The bank then becomes the 'victim' and can chose to pursue the claim or not.

As for YOUR concerns regarding the criminal matter, of course what you describe would be a crime (forgery, fraud, etc.). However, those are very low priority issues with the police and they would try to minimize your claim rather than take it. If you really want to force the issue (for some reason), contact the police again and ask (or demand if necessary) that a report be taken.

HomeGuru

Re: Forgery

LHO said:
Yes, they also had my checking account number, which they also wrote on the withdrawal slip.
**A: and how did this person get your account #? You do know this person, correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">