• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery Charge, advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Danielbates

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Alright, A very bad situation came, I thought it was a great idea to write a check (to someone else) from a check book that was not mine. In hopes of being able to deposit the money back into their account with cash before they noticed. However this did not happen.

I am told that today they went to the Police Dept, and did whatever they had to do there. The check was for $500 even, This would be my first charge to anything other than one a long time ago for underage possession of alcohol.

My question is what will happen when I go to turn myself in very shortly or tomorrow when I can verify what is happening.. What are the chances of being in a ton of trouble, and what kind?

Thanks for any advice

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Alright, A very bad situation came, I thought it was a great idea to write a check (to someone else) from a check book that was not mine. In hopes of being able to deposit the money back into their account with cash before they noticed. However this did not happen.

I am told that today they went to the Police Dept, and did whatever they had to do there. The check was for $500 even, This would be my first charge to anything other than one a long time ago for underage possession of alcohol.

My question is what will happen when I go to turn myself in very shortly or tomorrow when I can verify what is happening.. What are the chances of being in a ton of trouble, and what kind?

Thanks for any advice
Don't speak to the police without an attorney present.

FlyingRon

W
Even if you had put the money back it would still be a felony.

What are the chances of being in a ton of trouble, and what kind?
You are in a TON of trouble, NOW! I would not meet with the police or talk to anybody about this without the assistance of counsel. If arrested, remain silent.

This is most likely a class H felony, punishable by six years in prison and fines of a $10,000. Further, felonies have serious and life long implications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">