• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery charges by husband's ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MindyT

What is the name of your state? FL
OK, here is my story---my husband has an ex-girlfriend by whom he has a child. He pays support to her through themselves with no order, and she signs receipts. Last year she moved to Texas so he certified mails the support to her by money order. In September of last year, support was mailed to her in the form of cash (DUMB move, we know now), and a letter was sent to her for her to sign, written by me, stating that she had recieved the support. She signed and sent it back to us. She signed her name at the bottom. NOW she says that she did NOT sign it nor recieve support, and she is saying that she's gone to the state attorney's office in Texas to prosecute and they told her (supposedly) that there is grounds for a case. I had turned the letter in to my caseworker at DCF in regards to my Medicaid case, which they dind't count this letter or award me any type of benefits because she disputed the letter (signature). My question is, what should happen now? What action will the SA's office take as ar as forgery charges go? What are MY legal recourses? This woman and her mother have done nothing but harrass us since we have been married, and part of the reason she is doing this now, 10 months later, is that I am expecting a child in a month or so, and she is in a tight about it (why????). Also, she tried to reopen the old closed child support case against my husband and was told she cannot do it, so she's showing her a** about that too. Would this be a civil matter? I'm scared that I will be convicted of something I dind't do and have to go to jail and be away from my beautiful children (I have 4). Please, any advice?

Son of Slam

MindyT said:
FL.... Texas ..certified mails..money order. .. state attorney's office ... caseworker at DCF .. my Medicaid ... civil matter? ...jail ... any advice?

This is how you raise children? I guess it dose take a village for some people.

kat1963

I guess she's tight about it because you two were trying to use the whooohoooo $160 per month (as a debt) you say you send her in support to get $$$$ from the taxpayers for yet another child being brought into the world that neither one of you can afford!!! Here, let me hold open my purse so you can take the 10 grand or so out it's going to cost us in birth expenses alone!!! Yeah, you sent cash (not out of being stupid, but for a reason) so that she would be more willing to return the signed statement.....she has NO reason to believe that she'll get any support next month. Good one.

M

MindyT

The taxes that my HUSBAND and I pay more than pay for what measly benefits we have gotten. We just get back what he and I have put into it in the first place. And the reason CASH was sent to her is because she ASKED for it, since she supposedly had no Texas ID yet and could not cash a money order in TX with a FL ID. It was supposed to be for her daughter's school clothes and she needed it. Can't help what DCF counts as debts and doesn't count, but if someone pays such a debt as child support it should damn well matter and be counted, sicne it isn't court ordered and can't be counted that way. She gets it every month, the amount THEY agreed on, her included, so that should be what matters. And SHE has a reason to dispute the support also; to get MORE MONEY. "No, your sweet honor, I SWEAR I didn't get it even though I signed and sent that letter back saying I did and I went clothes shopping with it. No MAAAAAM." Whatever.

V

v_day_baby

mindy,
did you request a return receipt for the money you sent by certified mail? but regardless, since it was certified, you can prove you sent it, and it follows that she is lying about not receiving the money (unless she claims you sent her something else via certified mail). the reason people use certified mail is to create a paper trail. Use this to your advantage.

M

MindyT

Thanks for your reply and for not jumping down my throat with a smart remark, too, I appreciate that. Actually, this was the ONE time that my husband didn't use certified mail. He thought they were over the childish games because they had been speaking civilly and discussing things like adults, and it also seems that around here certified mail takes longer. She needed the money ASAP for their kid's school clothes, and he obliged. NOW she's doing this. I'm telling you, no one knows what this woman is like. It will bascially be my word against hers, period, and if they believe her, well, my life is screwed, no matter how nutty she is. I understand your point though, and how I so wish he had used certified mail, BUT like you say, she would have said that he sent a letter or something, not child support, so that probably wouldn't help much. She says the name on the receipt and that letter are forged BY me. How she can single ME out I have no idea but that's what she says. Being 8 months pregnant in a risky pregnancy, this is NOT what I need. Thanks again! Any more suggestions???

V

v_day_baby

Mindy,
hypothetically, if you did forge the woman's name, because you did not receive any benefits from it (Medicaid would not accept it because it was controversial) I don't think you can be charged with anything from the SA. The woman can take you to small claims court for her money, but it will be her word against yours.
Am not positive this is correct (do not know FL law), but if I were you I would not worry about it if only the woman is claiming you forged her name and you did not receive anything due to the forgery.

M

MindyT

Thanks again v_day_baby

Well, you're right about that, I didn't recieve any credit or benefits for anything, not even for him sending her the money. Even that was a waste, which ultimately IS our own fault, but doesn't excuse her for her wrongdoing either. I guess we'll just have to see what comes of it. If I didn't have these kids here I wouldn't worry so much, but I'm just afraid of being sent away from them for something I haven't done. I just can't believe she would do something THAT brazen and cruel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">