• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgery crime***PLEASE HELP***

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

81mommy

I am in the state of West Virginia. And about 4 years ago, my mother in law, stole our state tax return check. Yes it did go to her mail box, but it did not have her name on it. She opened it, signed her name and my husbands name, cashed it and kept the money from it. And then tried to say she knew nothing about it. Please help as soon as possible. She has been harassing us since June 2005. Any advice on how harrassment laws work?
Thank you very much,
**Very Upset**

suchamess

similar

undefined ohio
hallo ... it hasn't been four months in my case... my mother signed my paychecks (i had checks forwarded to her address- no direct deposit through company- and i was still in MA at the time she signed my name to the checks)... she signed 5 of them ... forging my signature and signing her own, and later claiming i'd given her permission... even if she forges a note, that i gave her permission, would she be able to use it against me? would that make the forgery legal?

she had opened a savings for me in her name (using cashiers checks i'd sent to her for deposit)... i wanted to get established and it was on a temp basis until i moved to OH and could put it in my own name... this was a problem- she kept putting me off, and i discovered she'd only deposited one of my cashiers checks to her for deposit... she was so worried about my financial stability that i did this to not have her worry about me making it on my own when i moved here... boy was i suckered... and it's by my mom- the worst kind of situation...

best to you and anyone else in this situation!

suchamess in ohio

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

81mommy said:
I am in the state of West Virginia. And about 4 years ago, my mother in law, stole our state tax return check. Yes it did go to her mail box, but it did not have her name on it. She opened it, signed her name and my husbands name, cashed it and kept the money from it. And then tried to say she knew nothing about it. Please help as soon as possible. She has been harassing us since June 2005. Any advice on how harrassment laws work?
Thank you very much,
**Very Upset**

My response:

What does this, "my mother in law, stole our state tax return check", have to do with "She has been harassing us since June 2005"?

IAAL

suchamess

Wv

81mommy said:
WV
**suchamess**,

Did you press charges? Or what did you do?
hallo WV. well, i've been doing a lot of research. i kept their best interest in mind for a while. this happened on the 15th of july. the reality of it didn't sink in until about a month later-- very muddy/surreal. plus, their behaviours were strange on top of the check forgery and missing cashiers checks. the parents involved 2 neighbours, who are witnesses. phone calls, leaving my personal stuff with them, harrassing, slamming my door, arguing in the street... i don't know my neighbours (the money that wasn't stolen was left in a cashier's check made out to my MOM!! she instructed me to *Sign her name if i want the money she didn't take from me*) left with a woman around the corner. my parents were trying to conceal something, apparently! nice huh! an email inferring murder was sent to me by my parents. on and on and onandon....

so, i've been a wreck. not wanting to go to small claims; or state attorney... just want my money - what belongs to me. however, it's time i start thinking of myself. this has 2 tiers: they opened a savings for me on a temp basis until i moved to ohio and stole money from that... tier 2: the mail opened/forged checks.

i'm going to her town on monday to talk to the police chief. there is a banking site which has given me the steps for filiing an *affidavit of forged endorsement* with the maker of my checks. it goes from there to the bank checks were deposited/cashed. et cetera. these are parents i was being reacquainted after many years. i thought they were decent people- in hindsight my mom was verrrry pushy about knowing my SSN, and offering to open the savings due to *concerns over my financial stability* odd... i'd not ever needed/asked/required of them financially... no contact until almost a year ago. i could have paid for the move myself- one of their gifts. they insisted, and now, it's a *fine* and part of the reason their claiming rights to my $. the Gift-Fines match the forged checks. this is how it all got started more or less--- their abusive visit on the 15th, the missing money on the 16th didn't make sense- gifts were charges now? and infated prices at that, so i rang up to get the copies of my checks mailed to mom.

there's more if your eyes are not crossed!! i'd asked when i moved here to put the savings in my name/and i wanted my checks so i could deposit them. parents kept putting me off.

difficult situation.

thanks,
rachel

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

What does this, "my mother in law, stole our state tax return check", have to do with "She has been harassing us since June 2005"?

IAAL

My further response:

I asked a simple question, and I get "War and Peace" in return.

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

I'm only going to try 'David Copperfield' ;)

'Laches is an implied waiver arising from knowledge of existing conditions and acquiescence in them.' Buell v. City of Bremerton, 80 Wn.2d 518, 522, 495 P.2d 1358 (1972).

Laches bars a cause of action where there is:

(1)knowledge by plaintiffs of the facts constituting their cause of action or a reasonable opportunity to discover such facts;

(2) unreasonable delay in commencing the action; and

(3) damages to the defendant resulting from the delay.
Davidson v. State, 116 Wn.2d 13, 25, 802 P.2d 1374 (1991).

From the facts of your post, all three criteria are satisfied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">