• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgery/ embezzalment/ theft of $$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Question for you all. i am part of a family business where i am a minority share holder. my sister also workED for us in our accounting department. we found out that she had been advancing herself money and forging someones name on the checks she wrote to herself (she was not an authorized signer. She ended up taking about $3500 from us that we know about and then on top of that her boyfriend worked for us and we found out a few days later that she was padding his paycheck for over a year which came to approx $1000.00. my father the Majority shareholder of the company doesn't not want to press charges (which in his eyes there is a glimmer of hope of rebuilding a relationship with his daughter) even though we have met with any attorny and the attorny said he was very confident the DA would let the common weath take the case on that we would not have to pay for his services. My question is, is it within my rights to prusue charges and report a forgery/ theft of funds to the DA through either the same lawyer or my personnal one. any input is much apprieciated.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You can make a complaint to the police, but it is up to them/DA to decide if they wish to pursue charges and then to the grand jury (or whatever) to determine if their is probable cause to proceed. It's not up to you whether she is charged or not, you just can help with informing the state.

If you are a principal in the victimized business, you CAN decide to pursue a civil redress (without regard to whether there is any criminal prosecution).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">