• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgery/identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dixeechickn

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
my mother-in-law filed a classified ad in my husband's name and never paid the bill. is this considered forgery or identity theft?

D

dixeechickn

then what is it? and who is responsible for the bill? we think we can prove that she filed the ad not him.

stephenk

what proof do you have? did mom in law admit to doing it? Contact the newspaper billing department and ask for information on who contacted them about placing the ad, etc.

just curious, what was the ad about?

D

dixeechickn

the ad was a truck for sale. she won't admit doing it but my husband was living in another state at the time over 500 miles away. the phone number on the account is at an address he never lived at and the address used (a p.o. box) is an address he never knew about (he knew she had a box but didn't know the number). are you a lawyer or how do you know that this isn't forgery? i wasn't sure if it was because of the legal definition of the word but i'm just curious how you know your information. thanks.

stephenk

forgery involves falsely reproducing a document and claiming the contents are from another. example, if i sign your name to one of your checks and make it payable to me.

Who does the newspaper say placed the ad? why would your mom in law place this ad? the whole story sounds fishy.

JETX

Stephenk is correct. It is NOT forgery (she didn't actually sign -forge- his name on anything).

At best this could be 'use of fraudulent identification'.... and not serious enough to warrant police action.

He needs to send a letter to the newspaper advising them that he did not place the ad and giving them a 'lead' as to who he believes did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">